Worried about the next named storm? Not sure what it will mean to South Florida?
Miami-Dade County offers the free ReadyMDC mobile app, which allows you to get the most up-to-the-minute information to deal with a hurricane before, during and after.
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter and visit our Facebook group page.
THE APP INCLUDES INFORMATION ON:
- How to prepare for a hurricane
- Knowing which areas that are in danger of storm surge
- Locating evacuation centers
- What to do with your pets
- Finding assistance
HOW TO GET THE APP?
Learn more about hurricane prep
Find other Miami-Dade County resources – including videos, maps, checklists and more – by clicking here.
The site is run by the Office of Emergency Management, which plans and prepares for emergencies by coordinating activities with county departments, municipalities, nonprofit social service and medical-care agencies, businesses, residents and visitors. It helps educate the public on preparedness, coordinating emergency response and recovery, and delivers emergency information.
Hurricane prep for pets
Meanwhile, Miami-Dade Animal Services wants to know: Do you have all your pet supplies in case of a storm?
The county agency is reminding residents to “always include your furry family members in your storm plans!”
When planning an emergency kit, pet owners are urged to consider the pet’s basic needs, including prescriptions and important paperwork.
Click here to for a checklist of recommended pet supplies.
More useful resources
- Florida offers tax-free shopping events
- Florida landscaping: Free resources to enhance your yard
- Free food distributions & resources
- Free meals for students through Summer BreakSpot
- Ride for free with Freebee in Aventura
- Free online homework help from local libraries
- South Florida farms offer fresh produce
- Free Publix prescriptions program to end soon
- COVID tests: How to get another 4 free rapid kits sent to your home
- How to avoid holiday scams & fraud