Enhance your yard, patio and indoor areas with plants, including native species and edibles. Lots of free information is available for South Florida residents, such as tips on selecting the perfect plants for a particular area. For personalized information, landscaping experts from extension offices in Miami-Dade, Broward & greater Palm Beach answer questions via phone and email.
Free landscaping lectures are offered at Secret Woods park in Dania.
Lots of other useful information is online for free.
Master gardeners from extension offices in Dade, Broward and greater Palm Beach
- Palm Beach County: 561-233-1750, email questions and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Broward County: 954-756-8533, email questions and photos to email@example.com
- Miami-Dade County: 305-248-3311, ext. 228; email questions and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
Other resources include:
University of Florida Institute of Food and Agriculture Sciences
- Florida-friendly™ Plant database interactive website for recommendations on perfect plants using such factors as region, sunlight and soil, includes trees, palms, shrubs, flowers, vines & other plants
- Florida Friendly program
- Vegetable gardening
- Perfect Plants for Pollinators
- “Lettuce in Small Hydroponic Systems”
- Strawberries: South Florida is a little hot for strawberries. “The variety most likely to take the heat well is Sensation ‘Florida127’. It will maintain fruit size better in the heat and will not become too dark in color — overripe appearance,” says Vance M. Whitaker associate professor of Horticultural Sciences at UF/IFAS at Gulf Coast Research and Education Center. He recommends planting toward the later days of October, & strawberries start to yield in December.
Indoor plants: Tips for radishes, lettuce & other edibles
Rebates for irrigation for eligible Broward residents
Other landscaping information
- Larval Hosts Plants and the Butterflies They Attract from Naturescape Broward
- Natives for Your Neighborhood
- Vegetable gardening in South Florida features information on when to plant different fruits & vegetables
More home tips
- Free resources to enhance your South Florida yard
- $100 toilet rebate available for eligible Broward residents
- Indoor gardening: Tips for growing edible plants
- Broward Sheriff’s Office offers free shredding & prescription disposal
- FPL tips on how to reduce energy use
- Rebates for upgrading irrigation in eligible Broward residential yards
- Rent, utilities & other financial resources for Florida residents
- Hurricane prep for pets: Have your supplies?
- Hurricane season: How to prepare (without spending too much)
- How (and where) to recycle your Christmas tree in Miami
Secret Woods Nature Center
2701 W State Rd 84
Dania Beach, FL 33312