The kids are home from school and relatives are visiting. You need a game plan that’s inexpensive because you broke the piggy bank on all the holiday gifts.
Here are the free and cheap things to do with kids in Miami during the holidays:
- The always interesting and politically incorrect King Mango Strut Parade is Dec. 29 at 2 pm through downtown Coconut Grove along Commodore Plaza. It’s the best way to catch up on all the year’s craziest events and definitely one of the most creative parades around.
- Pay a visit to George Merrick Park at 400 Biltmore Way in Coral Gables across from City Hall and enjoy the holiday decorations. Kids can take photos with Santa, play in and on several holiday-themed miniature houses, slides, a small stationary train. Snacks like popcorn, hot chocolate and churros are for sale. The park is decorated until Jan. 6.
- See our ongoing list of free and cheap holiday events
- Watch kids compete in basketball, golf and more sports by searching for “Junior Orange Bowl” on our site – now through Dec. 30
- Up to 43% off Miami City Ballet’s The Nutcracker Dec. 14-20
Holiday light displays
- Pinecrest Gardens Nights of Lights for $5 through Jan. 1
- Zoo lights at Zoo Miami $9.95 plus tax through Dec. 29
- Various local malls, including the Magical Snowfall at Dolphin Mall, through Jan. 5.
- Santa’s Enchanted Forest through Jan. 5. A season pass allows for unlimited visits. Canceled for 2020.
- Winterland at Pinto’s Farm in South Dade runs from Dec. 14 to Jan. 5. Tickets are on sale for $13 online and includes unlimited rides.
- Free family movies on various dates and locations
- Regal Cinemas show holiday classics for $5
- Hear a free holiday concert in the Miami Design District on Dec. 13
- Hear music, see art and dance in the streets at the free Viernes Culturales/Cultural Friday on Dec. 20
- Visit PAMM free on second Saturdays and first Thursdays of the month
- Visit the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU free every Saturday
- Visit other museums on their free days
- See shows for $5 or visit museums for $2.50 with Culture Shock Miami.
- Enjoy Miami-Dade’s top 10 free and cheap things to do with kids.
- Make something at the free Home Depot’s free kids’ workshop
- Free Homestead Trolley to National Parks
- Free tour of the Adrienne Arsht Center on Saturdays and Mondays
- Half-price tickets to shows
- Deals for festivals and events
- Explore downtown Miami
See a calendar of free and cheap Miami events by day and check out our frequently updated list of free and cheap Miami holiday events. Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap has a calendar of free and cheap Broward events.