Whether it’s an emphasis on romance, an occasion to enjoy friends and family, or an opportunity to treat yourself, Valentine’s Day can be delightful. Especially with deals and ideas for free and inexpensive fun in South Florida.
Valentine’s Day ideas, including free & inexpensive fun
- Valentine’s Night Hike for savoring nature and romance, 7 p.m. Feb. 14 at Long Key Natural Area in Davie; $5; prior registration required.
- Adopt A Sweetheart event is Feb. 12-14 at Humane Society of Broward. Adoption fees for some of the wonderful pets are waived or half-price during the event. Humane Society is at 2070 Griffin Road, Dania Beach; 954-989-3977.
- Vegan Valentine’s Dinner @ Pier 6 Rooftop for animal rescue organization, 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. Feb. 14, 200 N. Ocean Blvd., Pompano Beach; $49.37 including fees; website.
- Free Valentine’s Day wedding and vow renewal event Feb 14, offered by Broward County Clerk of Courts, 201 SE Sixth St., Fort Lauderdale. Participants need to register online. License fee applies.
- Valentine’s Day Karaoke event, 7 p.m. – 10 p.m. Feb. 14, includes live band. RSVP for free entry with a free shot. Venue: Clevelander Hotel & Bar, 1020 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach. Register online.
Palm Beach County
- Free event with live entertainment 7 p.m – 9 p.m. February 14 @ Seabreeze Amphitheater in Jupiter. 750 South S.R. A1A, Jupiter 33477. Solid Brass performs hits from Chicago. Information: 561-966-7043, website
- Valentine’s Day Speed Dating event, 7 p.m. Feb. 14, with fee of $28.16 if you register online; Venue: Delray Beach Market, 33 SE Third Ave.
- Succulent Workshop with DIY take-home project, 6 p.m. Feb. 14, Garden Shoppe, 600 S. Rosemary Ave., West Palm Beach; $25-$35, fees and tax are extra. RSVP online.
Pack A Picnic
Toss sandwiches and other scrumptious portable foods into a sack & savor a sunny outdoor afternoon activity at a favorite park. Entry fees at lots of South Florida parks are free, or relatively inexpensive. Enhance your excursion with a nature walk. Play with a Frisbee. Or read poetry. Use the websites below to pick a perfect park.
- Florida State Parks
- Broward County
- Miami-Dade County
- Palm Beach County
- For local parks, refer to each municipality’s website
Examples of delightful parks and scenic venues in Broward County, for example. include:
- Secret Woods, featuring a boardwalk overlooking the New River, and other nature paths, 2701 W. State Road 84, Dania Beach; 954-357-8884; free entry
- Fern Forest, features several nature paths, including its elevated boardwalk into cypress/maple swamp, 201 Lyons Road S., Coconut Creek; 954-357-5198; Nature Trails & Free Entry at Fern Forest in North Broward
- Quiet Waters Park, includes a butterfly garden and nature path, 401 S. Powerline Road, Deerfield Beach; 954-357-5100; entry is free on weekdays
- T-Y Park in Hollywood, includes tennis, picnic tables and a 2-mile paved path, primarily around a lake, for walking, running, biking and skateboarding, 3300 N. Park Road, Hollywood; 954-357-8811; entry is free on weekdays
- Hollywood Beach Broadwalk is a lovely 2.5-mile length between waves rolling ashore and shops, hotels and restaurants
- Fort Lauderdale Riverwalk is a delightful stretch along the New River from about Southwest Fifth Street east toward Federal Highway, incorporating Esplanade Park; Riverwalk in Fort Lauderdale offers scenic setting for walks & outdoor recreation
Attractions, Recreation & Shopping
- Studio 18 In The Pines displays the work of local artists; entry is free; 1101 Poinciana Drive, Pembroke Pines; 954-961-6067
- Delray Art Trail showcases vibrant outdoor public art displays, art studios and other art venues in the downtown district. Log into the Art Trail on the website
- ArtServe exhibits & shop feature the work of South Florida artists & artisans, 1350 E. Sunrise Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, 954-462-8190
- Swap Shop flea market with variety of vendors indoors and outdoors, 3291 W. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale; 954-791-7927; information online
- Play board games and get $1 off if you order craft beer. Game Night is 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m. select nights, including Valentine’s Day, Gulf Stream Brewing, 1105 NE 13th St., Fort Lauderdale; 954-766-4842; website
- Tarpon River Brewing, 280 SW 6th St., Fort Lauderdale, hosts group bike rides 7:30 p.m. Mondays. Entry is free. Information online
- Free exhibit featuring work of Black visual and word artists, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. weekdays in February and March, Boynton Beach Arts and Cultural Center; information online
- Museum of Art in Coral Springs, free entry for exhibits and shop, venue is inside Coral Springs Center for the Arts, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays, 2855 Coral Springs Drive, Coral Springs; 954-340-5000; website
- Snap selfies at “Let Love Guide Your Way,” a 25-foot love sculpture outdoors in Dania Beach, 100 W. Dania Beach Blvd.
- Other outdoor art exhibits
- Water Taxi in Fort Lauderdale offers deals. After 5 p.m., discounted Happy Hour fares are offered.
- Xtreme Action Park in Fort Lauderdale is an indoor arcade and recreation venue. Deals are offered, including two activities for $22 on Feb. 14 and other dates. For Valentine’s Day, the venue is featuring skating for two for $30, or a $50 package for two, which includes skating, $10 arcade voucher and $20 food/drinks voucher.
- AllGolf at C.B. Smith Park in Pembroke Pines includes mini golf course and a driving range; fees for miniature golf are $10 Mondays-Fridays and $11 Saturdays-Sundays for 18 holes; $2 extra for 36 holes; free for age 4 and younger; 950 N. Flamingo Road, Pembroke Pines; 954-441-1333; website.
- Boomers Boca Raton, arcade and recreation park, 3100 Airport Road; 954-347-1888:;Valentine’s promotions in February and other deals featured on Boomers website
- Frost Museum of Science, 1101 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-434-9600, website.
- Zoo Miami, 12400 SW 152nd St., 305-251-0400; website.
Other promotions, deals & ideas for free and inexpensive fun
- Pompano Amphitheater offers discounts for select shows, valid for purchases until February 16 with promocode VDAY
- Coconut Grove Arts Festival, 2700 S. Bayshore Drive, Miami, February 19-20, is offering a Valentine’s deal, 2 tickets for $20, purchase online
- Valentine’s Day 2-for-1 Discount for “Frozen” March 9-20 at Broward Center in Fort Lauderdale with promocode OLAF, offer valid for select seats & select performances, offer valid until February 18, purchase online
- Participating Hungry Howie’s restaurants offer heart pizza with 1 topping February 12-14 for $6.99
- Best outdoor Happy Hours in South Florida
- Jimmy John’s offers 50 percent off a second sandwich ordered online or on app
- exhale® Spa venues are offering deals, $20 bonus extra with $100 worth of gift cards; 50 percent off deal with purchase of another service at regular price
- Cinnabon offers $15 bundle
- iFly’s Valentine’s Day “Love is in the Air” flight package offered until February 20, about $155 for 2 people, price varies by venue
Other free & inexpensive events & deals
Tuesday, August 16, 2022