Small business owners: Times are tough, but there are organizations committed to providing help.
Is your business offering a deal? List it free on our new Miami on the Cheap deals page.
If you need assistance, check out these resources.
The Miami-Dade Beacon Council, the county’s official economic development partnership, and its community partners have two websites where you can seek out information.
- BizHelp.Miami has been designed as a one-stop online portal where you can learn about the C.A.R.E.S. Act’s Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), funding options such as state and local bridge loans, economic injury disaster loans (EIDL), community foundation programs, and other local resources as they become available.
- COVID-19 Resource Center on BeaconCouncil.com provides South Florida-specific information and website links to address economic hardships. For example, you can apply online or download paper forms for the U.S. Small Business Administration’s economic injury disaster loans, which offer up to $2 million in assistance for eligible small businesses. You also can apply for the Short Time Compensation Program, which is a voluntary program aimed at helping employers maintain staff by reducing working hours during temporary slowdowns instead of temporarily laying off employees.
The nonprofit, public-private council focuses on job creation and economic growth. Have questions or concerns? Email BeaconHelp@beaconcouncil.com or check out the council’s Facebook page for regular updates.
The Miami Downtown Development Authority (Miami DDA) is an independent agency of the City of Miami that aims to grow, strengthen and promote the economic health of the downtown area. Funded by a special tax levy on properties within its district boundaries, the Miami DDA focuses on business development, planning and capital improvements, as well as marketing and communication strategies.
The website is brimming with information on loans and other assistance. There, you can find:
- The U.S. Small Business Administration’s recommendations for how businesses can keep their employees, customers and communities healthy.
- The federal government’s Economic Injury Disaster Loans for small businesses.
- Custom webinars and question-and-answer sessions.
- Financial aid and tax guides.
The U.S. Small Business Administration has a South Florida District Office in Miami. Among the information on its website, you can find details on:
- Upcoming webinars
- A free online referral tool that connects small businesses with lenders.
- Access to partners including SCORE, Small Business Development Centers and Women’s Business Centers that provide business counseling and training.
The district office is at 51 SW First Ave., Suite 201. Call 305-536-5521.
The Florida Small Business Development Center at Florida International University provides free access to disaster capital and resources your business needs. Click here for more details. You also can get regular updates on disaster-relief information by emailing email@example.com.
OTHER RESOURCES FOR SMALL BUSINESSES
Facebook’s new Small Business Grants Program is offering $100 million in cash grants and ad credits. It aims to help up to 30,000 eligible small businesses in more than 30 countries. View the application guide here. Applications are open in the Miami area. Apply by clicking here.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation can provide information on federal resources, long-term recovery advic and more. Call 888-MY-BIZ-HELP to speak with an expert, or click here for more resources available to small businesses.
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter.
More Useful Resources
- Free homework help from local libraries
- Indoor gardening: Tips for growing edible plants
- Free food distributions & resources
- Water parks and pools in Palm Beach
- Libraries in Palm Beach ‘seed’ knowledge
- Resource Depot in West Palm offers new, used & upcycled items at discount prices
- Free tax preparation and filing support in Miami
- Postponed Event — Event offers information on free workforce education in Fort Lauderdale
- Broward Sheriff’s Office offers free shredding & prescription disposal
- Florida landscaping: Free resources to enhance your yard