For reducing energy use in your South Florida residence, Florida Power & Light Co. offers free online resources.
Using less electricity helps homeowners reduce utilities fees.
- Switch to energy-efficient LED lightbulbs.
- Turn off your overhead fan when you leave a room for potential savings of up to $85 per year, per fan.
- Ensure a tight seal is around your refrigerator door.
- Limit pool pump use to six hours a day or less in summer.
- Reduce temperature on your water heater. Lowering by 10 degrees potentially saves 3 percent to 5 percent on water heating.
- Raise your thermostat to 78 degrees in summer. You’ll save 5 percent on cooling costs for each degree upward.
- Replace old worn-out cookware. Flat-bottomed cookware offers better contact with heating
elements, and likely uses less energy.
FPL free online resources include
- Tips, programs & rebates
- Interactive home with information & ideas for saving energy in each room
- Shopping information & ideas for efficient use of water heaters, home office equipment, lighting & other items in your home
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or visit our Facebook group page.
- Free food distributions & resources
- Resource Depot in West Palm offers new & upcycled items at discount prices
- Free income tax webinars from University of Florida
- Local libraries provide free homework help
- Postponed Event — Event offers information on free workforce education in Fort Lauderdale
- Broward Sheriff’s Office offers free shredding & prescription disposal
- Florida landscaping: Free resources to enhance your yard
- Indoor plants: Tips for radishes, lettuce & other edibles from Davie extension office
- Free food for students during summer
- Ride for free with Freebee in Aventura