The kids are home from school and relatives are visiting. You need a game plan that’s inexpensive because you broke the bank a little on all the Christmas gifts.
Here are 22 free and cheap things to do with kids in Miami to get you through the week:
- The always interesting and politically incorrect King Mango Strut Parade is Sunday, Dec. 29, at 2 p.m. through downtown Coconut Grove along Commodore Plaza. It’s the best way to catch up on all the year’s craziest events and definitely one of the most creative parades around.
- Pay a visit to Merrick Park at 400 Biltmore Way in Coral Gables across from City Hall and enjoy the holiday decorations. Kids can play in and on several holiday-themed miniature houses, slides, a small stationary train. Snacks like popcorn, hot chocolate and churros are for sale. The park is decorated until Dec. 29.
- At Enchanted Place on Northeast 137th Street and 16 Avenue in North Miami, residents unite every year to decorate their block’s trees as well as their homes. The street’s massive canopy trees are strung with lights and the houses feature nutcrackers, Miami Dolphins logos, operating locomotives running around the tree trunks and a bedazzled array of holiday lights. Decorations will be up through Dec. 30.
- Check out free passes for museums and attractions at the library.
- See shows for $5 or visit museums for $2.50 with Culure Shock Miami.
- Enjoy Miami-Dade’s top 10 free and cheap things to do with kids.
- See a free movie at the North Shore Park Bandshell Friday
- Visit Jungle Island for 25% off with a coupon through Dec. 31.
- Hear free outdoor jazz at MOCA on Friday: Spam Allstars
- Get a free tour of the Adrienne Arsht Center on Saturday or Monday.
Get discount tickets to ‘Elf the Musical’ at the Arsht Center.
- Hear free music at ‘Festive Fridays’ at Southland Mall
- Listen to free music at the Falls
- Hear music, see art and dance in the streets at the free Viernes Culturales/Cultural Fridays
- Watch of compete in the Pokemon City Championship
- Sing along at the free Family Fest Dan Zanes and Friends concert at the Arsht Center on Saturday, Dec. 28
- Watch a discounted family movie at Gables Cinema
- Make something at the free Home Depot’s free kids’ workshop
Watch and sing along at the monthly bluegrass jam at Greynolds Park on Sunday, Jan. 5.
- See the Gold Coast Railroad Museum free on Saturday, Jan. 4.
Visit the Miami Children’s Museum, the Miami Science Museum or another South Florida museum free Jan. 4-5 with a Bank of America or Merrill Lynch card.