The 37th Annual Miami Book Fair International at Miami-Dade College Downtown Campus is set for Nov. 17-24, and features loads of free and cheap events for the entire family. Download a PDF of the complete Fair guide.
Admission to the street fair is free Nov. 22; and $10 for general admission and $5 for kids (aged 13 to 18) and seniors on Nov. 23-24. You can purchase tickets online.
Here’s a rundown of some of the free events taking place throughout the week.
MBF’s celebrated Generation Genius Authors program in Children’s Alley continues its promise to engage thousands of young minds with author presentations, live music, performances, and much more! Children of all ages can enjoy:
- Generation Genius Authors Field Trips will bring nearly 9,000 students from all over Miami-Dade County to the Fair to meet their favorite authors and receive free books!
- Tweens and Teens will find an author lineup of fantasy, adventure, and thriller books, as well as graphic novels, including: Angie Thomas (On the Come Up); Maureen Johnson (Truly, Devious); Andrea Beaty (the Questioneers: Sofia Valdez, Future Prez!); David Yoon (Frankly in Love); Liz Braswell (Stuffed); Monica Rodriguez (La tia Clio y la maquina de escribir); Ramon Paris (La Caimana); Maulik Pancholy (The Best at It); G. Willow Wilson (The Bird King); Jeffrey Brown (Darth Vader and Son); John Fitzgerald (Que Problema); to name a few.
At Children’s Alley, imagination takes center stage with seven Fun Rooms: Royal Caribbean’s Ocean of Adventures; Tot Time Play and Learn; Tinker, Make, Innovate!; The Rhythm Factory; Healthy Bodies, Happy Kids; The Paintbox; and One World Many Stories. At the Fun Rooms, children will explore digital worlds through virtual reality, sing-a-long, dance, play instruments, make healthy choices, enjoy interactive story readings and performances, explore diverse cultures, and much more. Every child that explores all the Fun Rooms in Children’s Alley will have the opportunity to take home a free book.
For over three decades the Fair has been committed to fostering a love of reading in children.
Children’s Alley will kick off on Friday, Nov. 22, at 9 a.m. and will continue through Sunday, Nov. 24. Children ages 0-12 receive free admission all weekend, and teens ages 13-18 get in for the discounted rate of $5.
Author readings are the highlight of the book fair, taking place throughout the run of the event. Several of the readings are free but require tickets. Here are some of the authors not to miss:
Richard Russo, Arturo Perez Reverte, Ed Asner, Pedro Cabiya, Steph Cha, Jennine Capo-Crucet, Edwidge Danticat, Beth Dunlop, Elvis Duran, Debbie Harry, Carl Hiaasen, Jamaica Kincaid and many more.
* Mitch Landrieu, In the Shadow of Statues: A White Southerner Confronts History
* Senator Tom Cotton, A Soldier’s Tour at Arlington National Cemetery
* Susan E. Rice, Tough Love
* Brenda Wineapple, The Impeachers
* Sarah M. Broom, The Yellow House
Plus, award-winning poets Dan Beachy-Quick, Campbell McGrath, Jericho Brown, Toi Derricotte, Camongghne Felix, Illya Kaminsky, Ariana Reines, Brian Teare, Poet Laureate Joy Harjo, Jon Sands, Jake Skeets and Daniel Poppick, to name a few
And, these are just a few of the confirmed 500+ authors scheduled to appear.
There’s also plenty of great events at The Porch with performances, puppet poetry, Noir at the Bar, teen poetry showcase and live music by various local artists.
Miami, FL 33132