Tax Day is Monday, April 15, but if you’re expecting a refund you can file as early as Jan. 29. Need help preparing your taxes? The following organizations offer free tax filing for those who qualify:
Miami-Dade County offers free tax preparation assistance for individuals or families with a combined income under $54,000 in 2017, elderly, disability, or need help reading and understanding English at Community Action and Human Services Department Service Centers. Click here for hours, locations and for more information.
The City of Miami and its partner sites offer free tax preparation assistance at various sites. The IRS-partnered sites is available to those whose annual household income does not exceed $53,000, while the City of Miami NET offices-Benefit Bank sites will help those whose combined income does not exceed $65,000. In addition to free tax preparation, the office can help with electronic tax filing and direct deposit of tax refunds. Click here for the NET offices website and more information.
The City of Miami Beach provides assistance for free tax preparation for people who make $54,000 or less, the disabled, elderly taxpayers and those who do not speak English. Tax preparation will occur in the Office of Housing and Community Services, located at 555 17 St., on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays through the end of tax season and appointments are required. To make an appointment or for more information, call 305.673.7491.
Miami Dade College offers free tax preparation for low-income individuals, the elderly and non-English speakers who live in Miami-Dade year-round. Hours and dates vary by location. College of Business students and faculty will be available at these campuses the following campuses. Bring all necessary paperwork, such as social security cards and earnings statements.
- MDC Kendall Campus 11011 SW 104 St., Miami 33176, Computer Courtyard, Building R, Room 101-07. Call for hours 305-237-2502. Customers must arrive at least one hour before closing to be served. English and Spanish spoken.
- MDC’s North Campus 11380 NW 27 Ave., Miami 33167. Building 1, Room 1119B. Call for hours 305-237-1199 Customers must arrive at least one hour before closing to be served. English, Spanish and Creole spoken.
- MDC’s Wolfson Campus 300 NE 2nd Ave., downtown Miami 33132 Building 3, Room 3115 Call for hours 305-237-3151. Customers must arrive at least one hour before closing to be served. English and Spanish spoken.
Miami Dade County Public Libraries – Get free federal income tax preparation help from IRS certified AARP Tax-Aide volunteers. Please bring last year’s tax return, all W-2 and 1099 forms, social security card and/or number for you and your dependents, and a photo ID. Space is limited. Please contact the branch for more information.
- South Miami Branch – Mondays, February 4 – April 15 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- South Dade Regional – Wednesdays, February 6 – April 10 from 2-7 p.m.
- West Kendall Regional – Thursdays, February 7 – April 11 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Coral Reef Branch – Fridays, February 1 – April 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- West Dade Regional – Fridays, February 1 – April 12 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Coral Gables Branch – Wednesdays, Feb. 6 – April 10 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Pinecrest Branch – Saturdays, February 2 – April 13 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For more information about the MDC/IRS VITA program, click here or please call 305-237-3151.
The United Way of Miami-Dade Center for Financial Stability offers information on tax preparation and locations for free tax help. Click here for more information.
The Internal Revenue Service offers free online software and fillable forms so you can do your taxes yourself. Click here.
AARP Tax-Aide provides free help to low- and moderate-income taxpayers of any age, with special attention to people over age 60. Most of the aides are in libraries or senior centers, and it’s best to make an appointment.
To find places near you that offer Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, search for a VITA location at the IRS’ website here.