Miami has the luxury of having an airport right smack in the middle of the city. We also have a ton of buses and trains going straight to the airport. Below you’ll find out how to get to Miami International Airport on the cheap.
Miami-Dade Public Transit has really made an effort in recent years to make the airport more accessible with buses and trains readily available at almost all hours.
Keep in mind that all Metrobus and Metrorail airport connections are located in Miami Central Station and no longer drop you off in front of terminals. Miami Central Station is a five-minute MetroMover ride from the airport terminals.
Bus fare is $2.25 one way and can be accessed with cash or with a reloadable EasyCard. If you need to make a transfer it is suggested that you use the EasyCard to save some money. You can purchase your easy card at several locations throughout Miami-Dade or online.
Bus routes that go to MIA as well as areas where you can catch them are listed below:
- Route 7: City of Sweetwater, Doral, Flagler, Downtown, Historic Overtown
- Route 37:City of South Miami to Hialeah via Sunset Drive and 37th Ave
- Route 42: Miami Springs, Opa Locka, City of Hialeah, Tri-Rail Station, Amtrak Station, Coral Gables and Douglas Metrorail Station. (No service on Saturdays or Sundays)
- Route 57: South Miami Metro Rail Station, Bird Road, Jackson South Hospital, Busway at SW 152nd St (Weekday service only)
- Route J (110): Northwest 36th St., Allapattah, City of Miami Beach
- Route M (113 ) Airport/Tri-Rail Shuttle: Runs between the Hialeah Market Tri-Rail station and Miami International Airport, with selected weekday trips also serving the Tri-Rail Metrorail station.
- 150 (Airport Flyer to Miami Beach): 41st Street, Alton Rd., Collins Ave., Lincoln Rd., Washington Ave.
- Route 238 (East West Connection): Doral, Blue Lagoon Dr., Airport Corporate Center, Airport Cargo City
If your area is not covered or you’re not sure about connections visit the Miami-Dade Transit Trip Planner for detailed directions.
Metrorail Orange Line
Last year Miami-Dade county unveiled the Orange Line for Metrorail. This route takes you straight to MIA and can be taken from any Metrorail station between Dadeland South and Earlington Heights. Click here to see a map of all Orange Line stops.
If you’re using this option your best bet is to either take a bus to a Metrorail station or have someone drop you off. Otherwise parking fees will be expensive. MetroRail fare is $2.25 and it only accepts EasyCard.
After you’ve been dropped off at Miami Central Station by either the Metrobus or Metrorail hop on the free MIA MetroMover train to access the airport. You’ll get dropped off at the third level between the Dolphin and Flamingo Garages. From there you can make your way to your terminal.
There are a few shuttles in Miami that provide service to the airport. While most of them are pretty pricey there are a couple of affordable options.
SuperShuttle Shared Van Service
SuperShuttle is a nationwide company that offers a van service to the airport. The cost of the shared van depends on where you are coming from or going. For instance if you’re heading to the airport from Coral Gables it will cost $16 for the first rider. If you’re coming from Miami Beach you’re looking at $19. Each additional person is $10. You can visit the website to calculate your exact fare.
Several hotels in the area offer shuttles to and from the airport at no additional cost. Check with your hotel to see if this option is available to you.
Taxis charge a flat rate of $32 to South Beach and $22 to Downtown from MIA. There is no fee for sharing a taxi so you can always split the cost with another person. For the record, although many Miami taxis do not accept credit cards, recently that is starting to change. Check with individual companies before riding whether they do or not.
Uber & Lyft
If you have their apps on your phones these are recently added options to use for Airport transportation within the Miami area.
Know of any other ways to get to MIA on the cheap? Let us know in the comments!