The National Park Trust‘s annual Kids to Parks Day – created to encourage families to explore the great outdoors – is happening this year, but with a slight change.
On May 15, instead of promoting special parks events, organizers say they are “encouraging people nationwide to celebrate the day at local parks and public lands with their household groups or established covid ‘bubbles,’ focusing on close-to-home outdoor spaces and experiences.”
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter and visit our Facebook group page.
The change is a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, which last year caused the event to go virtual. Check out the website for ideas on how to commemorate the special day.
The National Park Trust offers a free ParkPassport mobile app, to serve as the perfect companion for outdoor adventures. App users may earn digital badges, share photos, view live park webcams and more! The app is available through the Apple Store or Google Play.
WE DO HAVE SOME PARKS OPEN…
Locally, we have some of our county and state parks available, so you can always print out some of these activities and take them with you to our great outdoor spaces. Some have restrictions and strict rules, so be sure to inform yourself before you head out!
For county parks, click here.
For state parks, click here.
WE ALSO HAVE SOME COOL BIKE TRAILS…
You can also enjoy the outdoors on Miami’s bike trails. There are plenty of them open that meander through the tree-lined paths of Old Cutler Road and Coconut Grove, or through the giant Rickenbacker Causeway bridge with endless water views. Read about the open bike trails by clicking here.
More Fun for Kids
- Free & cheap things to do in Miami this week
- Free entry to national parks in honor of National Park Week
- Can’t make it to library? Check out a Bookmobile or Technobus near you!
- Target deal: Trade in your used car seat for a 20% discount card
- Kids to Parks Day 2021: How to celebrate virtually or in person
- Free children’s storytime: Celebrities read classic books
- Get a free book every month for your kids
- Free admission at Gold Coast Railroad Museum
- Free online games & quizzes for all ages
- Free Family Day at Miami Beach’s Bass Museum