The National Park Trust‘s annual Kids to Parks Day – created to encourage families to explore the great outdoors – is happening this year, but with a slight change.
On Saturday, May 15, instead of promoting special parks events, organizers say they are “encouraging people nationwide to celebrate the day at local parks and public lands with their household groups or established covid ‘bubbles,’ focusing on close-to-home outdoor spaces and experiences.”
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter and visit our Facebook group page.
The change is a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, which last year caused the event to go virtual. Check out the website for ideas on how to commemorate the special day.
The National Park Trust offers a free ParkPassport mobile app, to serve as the perfect companion for outdoor adventures. App users may earn digital badges, share photos, view live park webcams and more! The app is available through the Apple Store or Google Play.
Print out some of these activities and take them with you to our great outdoor spaces. Some have restrictions and strict rules, so be sure to inform yourself before you head out! For county parks, click here. For state parks, click here.
You can also enjoy the outdoors on Miami’s bike trails. There are plenty of them open that meander through the tree-lined paths of Old Cutler Road and Coconut Grove, or through the giant Rickenbacker Causeway bridge with endless water views. Read about the open bike trails by clicking here.
More Fun for Kids
- Children’s Trust Family Expo: Last event is this Saturday
- Hispanic Heritage Month 2021 free & cheap events in Miami – UPDATED
- Free & cheap things to do in Miami this week
- Get free entry to national parks on Saturday
- It’s pumpkin patch time: Where to find them around Miami
- Miami-Dade Youth Fair: So many discounts to choose from!
- Miami Children’s Museum offers Sensory Saturday for children with disabilities
- Zoo Miami offers $15 Mondays
- Free admission at Gold Coast Railroad Museum
- Free Family Day at Miami Beach’s Bass Museum