Every time I go to the movies, it seems as if the price has gone up again. These days, I can get an entire month of Netflix for less than the price of a movie.
But real movie lovers know that there is nothing like seeing a film on the big screen and sharing the experience with other movie lovers.
Matinees are still cheaper than evening shows, but most matinees in South Florida run $7.50 to $9, a discount of a few dollars. Seniors (usually 62-plus) and students pay less. The major chains have loyalty cards, which offer discounts. Discounts are sometimes available from companies that buy tickets in bulk. Regal Cinemas has a weekly concession coupon on its Facebook page.
We did a little research and found a few places to see movies on the cheap. At some theaters, IMAX and 3-D shows incur an additional charge over the discount price:
Here are the best movie deals in Miami-Dade:
- Tower Theater, 1580 SW Eighth St., Miami, 33155. The Tower shows first-run movies and art films, as well as film festival offerings. $11.50 general admission; $9 seniors, students (except MDC students), Miami Dade College staff; $7 Tower Theater Members, MDC Students, Miami Film Society members. Free parking is located behind and to the east of the theater at Southwest 15th Avenue and 9th Street.
- AMC Aventura and AMC Sunset Place: Tickets for any show before noon are $6-6.50 plus a convenience fee for online.
- Coral Gables Art Cinema: A family-friendly movie is shown at 11 a.m. the second Saturday and Sunday of the month for $5 (popcorn included) as part of Family Days on Aragon.
- Regal Southland Mall: Matinees for $5.59 and evenings for $6.59 on Tuesdays.
Find more free and cheap movies in Miami.
Looking for more entertainment, sports and festival deals?
- Find Groupon deals on Miami concerts, plays, entertainment, festivals and other events.
- Find Living Social deals on Miami concerts, plays, entertainment, plus deals on Miami festivals and events and Miami sports deals.
- Find Travelzoo activity deals in Miami.
- Find Goldstar deals on Miami sports, concerts, plays, festivals and other events.