Opportunities are offered for folks who want to pitch in with protecting and improving waterways, parks and other natural areas in South Florida.
Volunteers are appreciated for events that include picking up plastic litter along shorelines and reefs and enhancing landscaping in public parks. In addition to protecting the planet, your effort often racks up service hours, such as required service hours for high school students.
Either way, it’s a fun worthwhile activity that offers exercise and outdoor socializing.
Often events require participants to register prior to the project. For some events equipment is provided. For others, provide your own.
It’s always wise to
- wear closed shoes instead of flip flops
- supply your own water, hat, gloves, sunscreen & insect repellent
- Family Eco-Action Volunteer Workday, occasional events, usually fourth or fifth Sundays, Secret Woods, 2701 W. State Road 84, Dania Beach 33312, 954-357-8884, free, pre-registration required
- Eco-Action Workday usually 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. second Saturdays, Secret Woods, 2701 W. State Road 84, Dania Beach 33312, 954-357-8884, free, pre-registration required
- Eco-Action events 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. first Saturdays October – May, Fern Forest, 201 Lyons Road South, Coconut Creek 33063, 954-357-5198
- Markham Park Butterfly Garden clean-ups, usually 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. second Saturdays, 16001 W State Road 84, Sunrise 33326; 954-357-8868, phone for verification
- Occasional events @ Long Key Natural Area, 3501 S.W. 130th Avenue, Davie 33330, 954-357-8797
- Fort Lauderdale Beach Sweep, occasional events, HUB, 300 S. Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Las Olas & The Ocean, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Litter Free Deerfield Beach — DIY cleanup equipment offered @ Pier Bait Shop. Use & return. For group events, email for information
- Phone your favorite Broward park for other volunteer work days
- Florida State Parks volunteer information is online
- Phone your town for volunteer opportunities
- Surfrider Broward
- The Trash Pirates
- Waterway Cleanup