The Deering Estate at Cutler is celebrating a free “Play Day,” a day with free admission from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Aside from free admission and free parking, there will be hands-on science activities and historic house tours as well as food and beverages available for purchase.
Activities & Programs on Sept. 17, include:
• Mini-canoe tours at 10:30 am, 12:00 pm, 1:30 pm & 3 pm (for a $10 fee; cash only & weather permitting. Space is limited);
• Historic overview in the Court Yard at 10:30 am, 12:30 pm, & 3pm. Please note the historical homes will be closed;
• Special Appearance by the Zoo Squad from noon to 2 pm. Meet and greet these wonderful characters: Gigithe giraffe and Kaz the rhino;
• Be a scout: Learn knot tying and plant/bird identification skills and then test your newly found skills by participating in a knot tying challenge and scavenger hunts throughout the estate;
• Florida Yards and Neighbors Rain Barrel Work Shop at 1 pm in the Pump House Classroom. This workshop is FREE. The cost to purchase a rain barrel is $40. Pre-registration is required to purchase a rain barrel. Limited space is available. Please contact Lize Luna to register at 305-248-3311 ext. 242;
• Pinewood Derby Car Races throughout the day presented by Cub Scout Pack 314. Bring your own car to see if it is faster than the Deering Derby Dozen;
• Rain Gutter Races throughout the day presented by Cub Scout Pack 711 (Please bring your own rain gutter boat if you have one);
• Tropical fruit display provided by Fruit & Spice Park;
• Learn Fly Fishing techniques from Fly Fishing enthusiast Hunter Serrate;
• Food & beverages will be available for purchase.
Deering Estate is located at 16701 W 72 Ave., Miami, FL 33157. Call 305-235-1668 for more info.