For an interesting twist on nightlife activities, register for evening nature walks.
Different parks occasionally offer evening nature walks in forests, prairies, on shorelines and other intriguing outdoor spaces. You’ll savor distinctive sights, scents and sounds of evenings in the wild. (Some parks offer nature walks in the daylight.)
The fee for night hikes usually is $5 a person, which is ideal for a frugal romantic date or a fun family outing. Advance registration is often required for the events. Call the park for additional information and registration. Flashlights, drinking water and insect repellent are recommended.
Day hikes usually are free. Weekend and holiday park entry fees apply at some parks.
- 6 p.m. July 11: Secret Woods, 2701 W. State Road 84, Dania Beach; 954-357-8884; $5; preregistration required
- 7:30 p.m. June 17: Fern Forest, 201 Lyons Road S., Coconut Creek; 954-357-5198; $5; preregistration required
Nature Walks & Nature Events in Broward include
- Nature walks @ Fern Forest, usually 1 p.m. Sundays; call for verification; third Sundays in Spanish; reservations recommended; free entry, 201 Lyons Road S., Coconut Creek; 954-357-5198
- Nature walks, usually 3 p.m. first Saturdays, Secret Woods, 2701 W. State Road 84, Dania Beach; 954-357-8884; free; call to confirm event
- Nature walks, usually 10:30 a.m. first Sundays, Secret Woods, 2701 W. State Road 84, Dania Beach; 954-357-8884; free; call to confirm event
For information on other nature walks, call each park, or refer to this parks website. Participating parks occasionally include these and others:
- Secret Woods, 2701 W. State Road 84, Dania Beach; 954-357-8884
- Fern Forest, 201 Lyons Road S., Coconut Creek; 954-357-5198
- Long Key Natural Area, 3501 SW 130th Ave., Davie; 954-357-8797
- Crystal Lake Sand Pine Scrub, 3299 NE Third Ave., Pompano Beach; 954-357-5100
- North Beach Park, 3601 N. Ocean Drive, Hollywood; 954-357-5187
- Miramar Pineland, 3600 S. University Drive; 954-357-8776
- Markham Park, 16001 W. State Road 84, Sunrise; 954-357-8868
- Deerfield Highlands Nature Preserve, 701 NE 41st St., Deerfield Beach; 954-357-5100
DIY nature walks
South Florida offers natural treasures to enjoy:
- Fern Forest, features several nature paths, including its elevated boardwalk into cypress/maple swamp, 201 Lyons Road S., Coconut Creek; 954-357-5198; read feature Nature Trails & Free Entry at Fern Forest in North Broward
- Topeekeegee-Yugnee Park in Hollywood, includes tennis, picnic tables and a 2-mile paved path primarily around a lake for walking, running, biking and skateboarding, 3300 N. Park Road; 954-357-8811; read TY Park in Hollywood is lovely venue for outdoor exercise & relaxation
- Secret Woods, includes a boardwalk overlooking the New River, and assorted other nature walks, 2701 W. State Road 84, Dania Beach; 954-357-8884; read feature
- Quiet Waters Park, includes a butterfly garden and nature path, 401 S. Powerline Road, Deerfield Beach; 954-357-5100
- Hollywood Beach Broadwalk, a lovely 2.5-mile length between waves rolling ashore and shops, hotels and restaurants; read feature
- Fort Lauderdale Riverwalk, a delightful stretch along the New River from about Southwest Fifth Street east toward Federal Highway, incorporating Esplanade Park; read feature
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami-South Florida on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or visit our Facebook group page.
Thursday, August 18, 2022