If you’re looking for a way to give back to your community and make a difference in the lives of others, volunteering is a great option. There are many different volunteer opportunities available, so you’re sure to find one that’s a good fit for you. And the benefits of volunteering are numerous, both for the community and for the volunteer.
Even if your motivation is more personal than altruistic and you just want a cheap way to stay active and involved, volunteering may also be a very rewarding experience for you.
Perhaps you’ve always wanted to volunteer at a sea turtle rehabilitation center. Or, you may be more interested being a docent at a local museum or gallery. Or maybe set your sights on being a trail guide at a regional park if you enjoy the outdoors. Others might seek out volunteering at a performing arts theater showing patrons to their seats and getting to watch the shows for free.
The Kravis Center for the Performing Arts’ usher volunteers are responsible for greeting patrons, providing them with directions, and seating them in their seats. They also help ensure that the theater is clean and orderly before and after performances. If you are interested in volunteering as an usher at the Kravis Center in West Palm Beach, you can download a volunteer application from this website or call the volunteer office at 561-651-4294.
What’s in it for me?
- Help others in need. There are many people in your community who could benefit from your help, whether it’s providing companionship to the elderly, tutoring children, or helping out at a local soup kitchen.
- Learn new skills. Volunteering can be a great way to learn new skills and develop your talents. For example, if you’re interested in working with children, you could volunteer at a local daycare or after-school program.
- Meet new people. Volunteering is a great way to expand your social network and build relationships with people who share your interests.
- Reduce stress and boost your mood. Volunteering can help take your mind off of your own problems and give you a sense of purpose. You don’t need to wait for a disaster to strike.
- Improve your resume. When you volunteer, you’re demonstrating your talents, and work ethic. This can make you a more attractive candidate for jobs and help you to get ahead in your career, plus pick up some new skills along the way.
- Learn about other cultures. Volunteering can be a learning experience. You may think that you are merely giving your time and energy to help or teach others. However, by being engaged, your own attitude may also get an adjustment that could deepen your understanding of the world while enriching your own life, too.
Whether it’s volunteering to help clean up a local beach, park or to beautify the environment; helping out at an animal shelter or being part of an animal rescue team; helping children with academics, sports or the arts; or assisting seniors with music or games to improve their quality of life; helping out at a food pantry, a homeless shelter, or a soup kitchen, it’s all up to you!
If you can’t volunteer on a daily basis, try it a few hours a week. But if the first opportunity doesn’t work out for you, don’t give up, try something else. Don’t tackle more than you can handle. You can start with something that seems small to you but that may have a big impact on the lives of others.
There are agencies and community resources that help match people and their skills or interests with organizations in need of help. Here’s what we found when we started looking.
Following is a partial list:
- 2-1-1 Palm Beach
- Animal Care and Control
- Busch Wildlife Sanctuary
- Community Services: Senior Services
- Cooperative Extension: 4-H Youth Program
- Environmental Resources Management
- Guardian Ad Litem Program
- Historical Society Palm Beach County
- Loggerhead Marinelife Center
- Morikami Museum
- Mounts Botanical Garden
- Palm Beach County Health Department
- Palm Beach County Library
- Parks and Recreation
For more information and details on volunteer opportunities in Palm Beach County, visit this website.
More free and cheap things to do in Palm Beach County this week:
Friday, September 22, 2023
Saturday, September 23, 2023
Sunday, September 24, 2023
Monday, September 25, 2023
Tuesday, September 26, 2023
Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Thursday, September 28, 2023