Grab your binoculars
For the past 122 years, teams of enthusiastic birders have joined together every December across North America to participate in the Christmas Bird Count (CBC). Coordinated in the U.S. by National Audubon Society, the CBC is the nation’s longest-running bird-related community science project. This early-winter bird census spans three weeks, from December 14, 2022 to January 5, 2023.
Area counts of the number of individual birds of each species present within each 15-mile diameter CBC circle are tallied over 24 hours on just one of those calendar dates. Data collected from thousands of CBC circles provides an annual snapshot of the status of wintering bird populations throughout the country.
RSVP for a Christmas Bird Count (click link for emails)
- Crocodile Lake National Wildlife Refuge on Friday, December 16, 12 a.m.-11:59 p.m. in Key Largo
- Miami Christmas Bird Count on Saturday, December 17; times: 12 a.m.-11:59 p.m. in Miami
- Key Largo – Plantation Key Christmas Bird Count on Saturday, December 17; times: 12 a.m.-11:59 p.m. in Plantation Key
- Homestead Christmas Bird Count on Sunday, December 18; times: 12 a.m.-11:59 p.m. in Homestead
- Long Pine Key Christmas Bird Count on Monday, December 19; times: 12 a.m.-11:59 p.m. on Long Pine Key