If you're out and about, some parks, natural areas, restaurants, attractions, lights displays and shopping plazas are open for fun, entertainment and food on Thanksgiving Day in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach County. Maybe you want to take your relatives on a day trip to the next county. You will find lots of sights to see and things to do that are free or relatively inexpensive.
If you want to eat out, there are many restaurants open Thanksgiving Day or perhaps you would prefer to order your Thanksgiving dinner prepared to eat at home, rather than cook or eat out. If your family needs help with food, there are also places that are giving away Thanksgiving food free.
Things To Do Thanksgiving Day 2023
A variety of restaurants in South Florida offer dine-in or takeout options.
For entertainment, attractions and holiday lights displays are poised to delight. Lots are free. Popular free events include WinterNational Thanksgiving Day Parade is 10 a.m. Thanksgiving Day with a route from Northeast 6th Avenue along 125th Street to Northeast 12th Avenue, North Miami 33161, with floats, dancers & music.
A bit to the north, delight in a light show synchronized to holiday tunes. Free Symphony In Lights display at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., shows on the hour, 901 S. Federal Highway, Hallandale Beach 33009.
For live entertainment, it's oceanside in Hollywood with live music 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. by Visions Band at Hollywood Bandshell, and it's free, weather permitting. Beach parking rates apply. Hollywood Bandshell is part of Hollywood Broadwalk offers oceanfront venue for walking, rollerskating & live entertainment
For shoppers, Fort Lauderdale Swap Shop flea market, 954-791-7927, is at 3291 W. Sunrise Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale 33311. The venue includes a Ferrari museum.
An assortment of attractions and recreation venues with fees are open and include AllGolf in Pembroke Pines, Santa’s Enchanted Forest in Dade and ‘Ice' Rink at Las Olas Oceanside Park in Fort Lauderdale. Plenty of state, local and regional parks and natural areas are free or relatively inexpensive including
Pondhawk Natural Area in Boca Raton with free entry, Fern Forest, Florida State Parks and lots of others.
Other Things To do
Ride a train
Tri-Rail offers $5 all-day rates holidays and weekends. The railroad runs from Miami-Dade to West Palm Beach with stops in Broward. Information about Tri-Rail, including routes and shuttles to and from stations, call 954-783-6030 or 800-874-7245 Feature: Tri-Rail offers $5 fares on weekends.
Brightline is offering a Thanksgiving fare of $39 fare for one-way travel from South Florida to Orlando, and $20 for kids
- Delight in the outdoors with a nature walk, a picnic or toss a Frisbee. Florida State Parks, entry fees are usually about $6 per vehicle with at least 2 people. Fees for pedestrians and bicyclists are usually about $2. Lots of local parks are open, including splash pads and playgrounds. Other parks
- Watch live webcams at beaches and other public places in South Florida.
- Download free digital movies, e-books, workshops, lessons & music from Broward libraries, greater Palm Beach libraries, Dade libraries.
- WinterNational Thanksgiving Day Parade is 10 a.m. Thanksgiving Day Nov. 24 with a route from Northeast 6th Avenue along 125th Street to Northeast 12th Avenue, North Miami 33161, with floats, dancers & music
- Santa’s Enchanted Forest is open 5 p.m. – 12 a.m. at Hialeah Park, 3100 E. Fourth Ave., Entry fees apply.
- Zoo Miami, 12400 SW 152nd St., Miami. It's open 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Thanksgiving, with entry by 2 p.m. required, 305-251-0400, regular entry is $22.95 for ages 13 and older and $18.95 for ages 3 to 12. Tax is extra.
- Frost Museum of Science, 1101 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, 33132, 305-434-9600, regular fees are $22.95 for ages 4-11, $29.95 for adults, free for 3 and younger, website
- Miami-Dade Parks Phone your favorite park to verify. Holiday parking rates may apply.
- Biking in Miami-Dade
- Watch a light show synchronized to holiday tunes. Free Symphony In Lights display at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., shows on the hour, 901 S. Federal Highway, Hallandale Beach 33009
- Travel by water. Water Taxi in Fort Lauderdale is running about 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., with a discount rate of $20 per person
- AllGolf putt putt golf in Pembroke Pines is open 8 a.m. – 3 p.m., 950 N. Flamingo Road, Pembroke Pines 33028, 954-441-1333, fees are 11 for 18 holes & $13 for 36 holes
- ‘Ice' Rink at Las Olas Oceanside Park. , synthetic ice rink, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. with arrival required by 2 p.m. November 23, with fees of $20 for ages 18 and older, $18 for ages 13 – 17, and $15 for ages 6 – 12
- Relax oceanside with live music 7 p.m.- 9 p.m. at Hollywood Bandshell, and it's free, weather permitting. Beach parking rates apply. Hollywood Bandshell is part of Hollywood Broadwalk offers oceanfront venue for walking, rollerskating & live entertainment
- Fantasy of Lights drive-through holiday display at Tradewinds Park in North Broward. Entry fees apply.
- Appreciate art. Downtown Hollywood Murals features about 45 murals on buildings and sidewalks in easy walkable route. Information about the artwork and artists is online
- Shop. Fort Lauderdale Swap Shop, flea market with Ferrari museum, 3291 W. Sunrise Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale 33311, 954-791-7927
- Jump on your bike. Free & inexpensive bike routes in Broward
- Broward Parks Some natural areas and other venues are always free. For others, especially regional parks, weekend & holiday entry fees are $1.50 for 6 and older.
- Riverwalk is ideal for romantic walks and photo ops. Entry is free, with fees for parking.
- Hollywood Broadwalk is an oceanfront venue for walking, skating and entertainment. Entry is free, with fees for parking.
- Fair at Margate November 17-December 3
Palm Beach County
- Palm Beach County Parks most are open Thanksgiving, with free entry. Some indoor facilities and amenities may not be open
- Storywalk exhibit at Pondhawk Natural Area in Boca Raton & other parks feature pages of a book displayed along a path. Free entry and free parking.
- Palm Beach county natural areas
- Delray Art Trail offers a website that includes information about outdoor sculptures and other public art displays in the downtown area
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily South Florida on the Cheap newsletter. Follow on Facebook and Instagra
Free and cheap things to do Thanksgiving weekend
Thursday, November 23, 2023
Friday, November 24, 2023
Saturday, November 25, 2023
Sunday, November 26, 2023