Miami Dade College presents a series of free daytime jazz concerts Sept. 13 through April 3 called Jazz at Wolfson at the MDC Wolfson Campus in downtown Miami.
As jazz aficionados know, the genre comes in all shapes, sizes and sounds, on piano, sax, bass, guitar, trombone, drums and more. It's a form that is performed solo, as a duo, trio, quartet, quintet or full band.
The jazz spectrum is broad and colorful, evoking many moods from mellow and bluesy to hot and spicy. And once again the folks at MDC are making it easy and free to kick back and just enjoy the music.
Here's the 2023-24 schedule:
- Wednesday, Sept 13 at noon: MDC Jazz Faculty Quartet
- Wednesday, Oct. 11 at noon: Pianist Carmen Staaf
- Tuesday, Oct. 31, at 5:40 p.m.: Wolfson Jazz Ensembles
- Wednesday, Nov. 1 at noon: Saxophonist David Oatts
- Wednesday, Dec. 6 at noon: Bassist David Wong
- Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024 at noon: Drummer Allison Miller
- Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2024 at noon: Singer Sara Serpa
- Tuesday, March 13, 2024 at noon: Trombonist Dion Tucker
- Wednesday, April 3 at noon: Pianist Martin Bejerano and violinist Nicole Yarling
Performances are in Wolfson Auditorium, Room 1261 on the MDC Campus at 300 NE Second Ave., Miami. 305-237-8888. Most will be livestreamed.