On Saturday, Sept. 15, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., enjoy a day of family fun at the Deering Estate with hands-on science activities, site orientations, canoe tours (for an additional fee) and more. Admission is only $1 for ages 4 & older.
Activities and programs on Sept. 15 will highlight Scouts and Volunteerism and include:
• Pinewood Derby Car Races throughout the day where children can bring their own car to race on the tracks.
• Mini Canoe tours at 10:30 a.m., 12 p.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. (for a $10 fee; cash only and weather permitting). Limited space is available.
• Historic House Tours at 11:00 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. (for a $5 fee; cash only). Limited space available.
• Rain Barrel Workshop from 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. Free to attend; $40 for rain barrel
Learn how harvesting rainwater can help reduce pollution from stormwater runoff and provide a supply of free, non-chlorinated, pH-neutral water for your garden, prize orchids, potted plants, and much more.
The workshop is free to attend and recycled plastic 60-gallon food-grade drums (rain barrels) are available for purchase at $40.00 each. You may purchase rain barrels online through registration with a credit card. Rain barrels can be purchased at the workshop with a check or money order only. Cash is not accepted. Register online to attend the workshop (for free) or to attend the workshop with the purchase of a rain barrel.
• Light bulb & Showerhead Exchange
Miami-Dade County residents will also be able to exchange three (3) old light bulbs for energy saving compact fluorescent light bulbs and exchange up to two (2) water-wasting showerheads for water-efficient models. Quantities are limited. Visit the website or call 3-1-1 for more information on water and energy conservation.
• Introduction to Permaculture, provided by Amerikua from 1:00pm – 2:00pm in the Pump House
Permaculture is a science of design that show us how to create efficient and harmonious ecological systems that meet the needs of our human populations as well as that of our relatives in the natural world. In this short talk, you will get an introductory overview of the underlying ethics and principles behind this design approach. You will also be able to a learn about some of the methods, strategies, and techniques that Amerikua Permaculture applies when designing and implementing productive and regenerative edible landscapes.
• Enjoy additional activities at our program partner booths.
• Food and beverages will be available for an additional fee.