In an effort to help senior citizens during these times of social distancing, several stores are reserving their first few operating hours for people age 60 and older. Many stores are also allowing non-seniors during these hours if they are shopping for an elderly relative or friend.
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter.
Seniors-only, in-store shopping opportunities include:
- Whole Foods: Shopping for age 60 and older is available one hour before the store opens for the public, which is usually 8 a.m. Stores are revising their regular hours, so look up revised hours for your store on the website.
- Trader Joe’s is offering a separate line for seniors outdoors every day from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. for expedited entry, with a limited number of shoppers allowed inside.
- Walgreens is offering shopping for seniors 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. Tuesdays. Related note: On Tuesdays, Walgreens offers senior discount for age 55 and older, which is 30 percent off regularly priced Walgreens brands and 20 percent off regularly priced national brands. Restrictions may apply.
- Target: Shopping for vulnerable guests, including seniors, is offered the first hour on Wednesdays. Participating Target stores also offer Drive Up, in which your purchase is delivered to your vehicle in the parking lot. Deliveries are offered via Shipt.com and Target.com.
- Publix: Shopping for age 65 & older 7 to 8 a.m. Tuesdays & Wednesdays, includes the pharmacy beginning March 24.
- Dollar General: Store officials are strongly encouraging the first hour of each day be reserved for seniors, and are asking other shoppers to wait to shop after that reserved hour.
- Fresh Market: Shopping for seniors and others at most risk 8 to 9 a.m. Mondays to Fridays
- Walmart: Senior shopping for ages 60 and older Tuesdays one hour prior to regular store opening, includes pharmacies & vision centers, valid March 24 to April 28.
- Fresco y Mas and Winn-Dixie: Shopping for seniors and at-risk customers Monday through Friday 8 to 9 a.m.
- Sedano’s: Shopping for seniors 65 and older and at-risk customers from 7 to 8 a.m.
- Big Lots: The first hour of each day, 9-10 a.m. is reserved for senior citizens.
- Milam’s Market: Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday from 8-9 a.m. is reserved for senior citizen and at-risk customers.
- Costco: Tuesday through Thursday from 8-9 a.m. is designated shopping for seniors 60 and older and people with disabilities, including the pharmacy.
- Aldi: Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30-9:30 a.m. is designated for seniors, expectant mothers and those with health concerns.
More Food Resources
- Free food, giveaways & discounts for first-responders, hospital workers
- Restaurants keep adding new deals (and free delivery!)
- Pizza Hut: Large, 3-topping pizza for $9.99 delivered
- Order wine, beer online and get cocktails to go
- Enjoy quality meals at home with these Miami restaurant DIY kits
- Miss socializing over drinks? Try free ‘Chat with the Winemakers’ virtual series
- Store hours for seniors only
- Order groceries and household products online for pickup or delivery
- Krispy Kreme’s Be Sweet Saturdays: Get free Original Glazed dozen to share
- Free coffee for front-line responders at Starbucks