Florida is slowly reopening parks, with about half of the state parks now available for the public to use.
However, proceed with caution and know that only limited areas are accessible at this time.
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter.
Here’s a list to refer to before heading out and it is advised you visit the links we’ve provided for each site to ensure it is still open:
- Everglades National Park: Enjoy the marine waters and beach campsites in the wilderness. Use the main park road from the Homestead entrance to Flamingo where the marina and boat launch ramps are open. There’s also access to the Flamingo Marina Store and fish cleaning station. Chekika Day Use Area roads are also open.
- Biscayne National Park: Remains closed but open for boaters but boats must stay 50 feet away from each other when in the water.
- Alligator Alley: Access Everglades National Park and Big Cypress National Preserve off I-75. Stop for a picnic or fish under a pavilion along the way. Some boat launches are also open. Spot alligators in the canals along the way.
- Scenic Loop Road: The 24-mile, two-lane road parallel to Tamiami Trail provides access into the Big Cypress region of the Everglades. The road is unpaved so take your time and expect to spot a variety of wildlife, maybe even a Florida panther!
Last week, Miami-Dade County opened some of its city parks, marinas and golf courses. Those places also have new rules we must abide by. To read up on the rules and find out which areas are affected, click here.
We also have great bike trails throughout the county. Though these free and cheap trails at state parks and beaches are currently closed due to stay-at-home orders, we will update periodically as they start reopening. Find out more by clicking here.
More Useful Resources
- Florida Sales Tax Holiday: Stock up on storm supplies
- Stimulus payment: Be careful you don’t mistake it for junk mail
- Updated: Miami’s city parks reopen, but watch for restrictions
- Free food distributions: See if you’re eligible!
- Publix chicken tender subs on sale
- Vizcaya offers orchid-care class online (plus a deals alert!)
- Hiring opportunities: These companies are offering jobs
- Free gardening webinar on Florida native plants
- Stressed? Sad? Worried? Mental health assistance is available
- Miami’s Technique Records now offering curbside pickup