Everyone needs financial assistance sometimes, but finding the resources during tough times can be difficult. There are, however, plenty of them available. They range from help with medication costs and filing for unemployment to food banks, rental and utility assistance and small business loans.
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter.
Here are some online resources to tap into:
- Miami Achieving Stability is providing temporary services to low-income households, with the goal of promoting housing stability for homeless individuals or those at-risk of becoming homeless. Help includes rental assistance and utility payments. The Volunteers of America, Florida provides other services as well, such as housing, health and employment services. More info: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 786-369-1852.
- Salvation Army can assist with rent/mortgage, utility bills, transportation, medicine and food.
- 211.org is a vital resource when searching for food, housing and healthcare, the site features a comprehensive list of resources in these areas and more.
- Healthwell Foundation helps cover with copays, premiums, deductibles and various other out-of-pocket expenses if you’re underinsured and suffer from one of these 34 diseases
- Florida Unemployment is where to go to learn about eligibility for filing of unemployment and how to properly file to receive checks.
- Food Pantries is a comprehensive website listing organizations and houses of worship that distribute food or where you can come in and fill up a bag with food.
- Miami-Dade Emergency Assistance includes resources for assistance with housing, utility and energy bills, transportation and home energy crisis.
- United Way of Miami-Dade has launched the Miami Pandemic Response Fund through Operation Helping Hands, a resource for struggling families with food supplies, utilities, rent and mortgage assistance and micro-grants for small businesses.
- City of Miami Beach has established a Rental Assistance Program for Miami Beach residents. Click here to read all the details on eligibility requirements and how to apply.
- Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce has put together a Business Relief Guide, a comprehensive list of online links to resources including the USBG Bartender Emergency Assistance Program, US Small Business Association Loans and Facebook Grant and Facebook Business Resource Guide.
- Family Success Centers in Broward County can help with funds to pay electric bills and rent. Locations in Pompano Beach, Coral Springs, Hollywood and Fort Lauderdale.
- Urban League of Broward County helps with foreclosure counseling and mortgage programs.
- Housing Finance Authority of Broward County provides foreclosure prevention services, home counseling services and home repair.
- Miami Downtown Development Authority has created a Loan Assistance Task Force to provide answers to financial questions and help you through the loan application process. E-mail email@example.com.
- Broward County Emergency is a comprehensive site with links to various emergency resources
- Need Help Paying Bills Fort Lauderdale includes information on a variety of agencies that provide emergency aid
- Food pantries lists the food pantries, soup kitchens and other meal programs in Broward County.
- The Pantry of Broward who serve 500+ senior client households regularly, will begin distributing food on March 30 between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. expanding its service to the public.
- South Florida Emergency Response Program is hosting two-week virtual programs for South Florida small businesses currently affected. Their partner gener8tor is providing the daily webinars to help small businesses secure resources, one-on-one online meetings are also available.
- City of North Miami has three programs to help eligible residents with rental assistance, water bills and small businesses, click here for more details.
- SOBEWFF and Florida International University Chaplin School Hospitality Industry Relief Fund aims to provide financial help to independently owned and operated restaurants and bars in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. The program is presented by the Food Network & Cooking Channel South Beach Wine & Food Festival and Capital One. In addition to grants, recipients will get access to resources provided by the FIU Chaplin School.
- Axis South Florida an online platform that includes information on Miami-Dade and Broward County’s leading community-based organizations that offer assistance to South Florida residents, small businesses and non-profits.
- Paycheck Protection Program part of the U.S. Small Business Administration is accepting loan applications on a first-come, first-serve basis through June 30. The forgivable loans help with cash-flow assistance for small businesses who are open and need assistance with payroll to help workers remain employed.
- Americans for the Arts has established an emergency relief fund for artists and creative workers awarding $5,000 grants with no strings attached, available to any artistic or creative individual who has been affected by the current times.
- Greater Miami Jewish Federation has the Hebrew Free Loan Association of Miami, a federation that provides interest-free $3,000 emergency loans to qualified Jewish borrowers in need in Miami-Dade County affected by the current situation.
Other relevant posts:
- Kids continue with free school breakfast and lunch
- Free Internet for low-income households
- Visit Living on Cheap to find other relevant posts
More Useful Resources
- Stimulus payment: Be careful you don’t mistake it for junk mail
- Updated: Miami’s city parks reopen, but watch for restrictions
- Free food distributions: See if you’re eligible!
- Publix chicken tender subs on sale
- Vizcaya offers orchid-care class online (plus a deals alert!)
- Florida Sales Tax Holiday: Stock up on storm supplies
- Hiring opportunities: These companies are offering jobs
- Free gardening webinar on Florida native plants
- Stressed? Sad? Worried? Mental health assistance is available
- Miami’s Technique Records now offering curbside pickup