Want to keep supporting local indie cinema houses and give the streaming services a break? You can show you care by streaming what they’re offering. Some are free and others are the price of a regular movie ticket. Now more than ever, they need the help from all film-lovers out there!
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter.
Coral Gables Art Cinema – You can’t sit in the lovely theater in the heart of Coral Gables, but you can watch classic black-and-white films, SXSW award-winning flicks, imports and music documentaries. Free.
O Cinema – Now housed in an iconic Miami Beach building, this local darling of indie films features an eclectic mix of relevant films for all types of audiences, always featuring award-winners and cult classics. $12.
Tower Theater – Little Havana’s theater is shuttered for now but showcasing a nice mix of documentary, comedy and other award-winning selections. $9.99-$12
Miami Short Film Festival – The annual festival is currently on hold, but if you love 1- to 20-minute short films, organizers are showcasing one every Friday night on their website. Free
Filmgate Miami – The local organization that showcases films by local writers, producers and directors is showcasing films, bootcamps and more on its YouTube channel. It also has an extensive list of resources for artists on the website.
Nationally, there are options, too. You can watch “We Are One: A Global Film Festival” on YouTube from May 29 to June 7. The 10-day global film festival will feature shorts, documentaries, feature films, music and comedy from more than 20 film festivals worldwide.
More Virtual Entertainment
- Tap! Tap!: Virtual Haití Book Festival kicks off May 30
- Drive-ins: Go out and enjoy movies, live music
- Hard Rock Stadium turning into drive-in!
- Dezerland Park invites you to new drive-in theater
- Virtual 5K Run: Sign up to join WE RUN MIAMI!
- Scooby fans, watch the latest flick & grab a Fandango party pack
- Get cultured: Visit museums, galleries and attractions, experience theater online
- Miami’s Technique Records now offering curbside pickup
- Vizcaya gardens has reopened to the public
- Life is a Cabaret! at South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center virtual sessions
Virtual Entertainment Calendar
Monday, June 1, 2020
Tuesday, June 2, 2020
Wednesday, June 3, 2020
Thursday, June 4, 2020
Friday, June 5, 2020
Saturday, June 6, 2020
Sunday, June 7, 2020