Love the library? Well, our beloved branches are not reopening just yet.
However, Miami-Dade County’s Public Library System is offering the next best thing.
Now you can reserve books, DVDs and other materials online, then pick them up through a new outdoor, walk-up service. The countywide service is available to Miami-Dade library card-holders at ALL 50 branches, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays.
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:
- First, reserve what you want: Order your materials ahead of time and select your preferred library location for pickup. To order, use the MDPLS online catalog or MDPLS mobile app, call your nearest library branch or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Next, wait for notification: You’ll be alerted when your materials are ready for pickup either by email, phone or text.
- Pick up items: Once you’ve received notification that your items are ready, just walk up to the entrance of your designated library location, bring your library card with you, and retrieve your order.
DON’T HAVE A LIBRARY CARD?
You definitely need a Miami-Dade Public Library System card to make use of this service. But this shouldn’t be a problem. If you don’t have a physical one, you can get an electronic card. Either type of card will be scanned at checkout.
To apply for your eCard, click here. Once enrolled, you can begin using it immediately.
WANT TO RETURN BOOKS?
- The book drops are now unlocked, so you can return any materials you’ve had since before quarantine days. However, you also may continue to hold on to your items until further notice without penalty.
- Anything that’s returned will be quarantined for 48 hours before being checked back into the system.
- Please remember that the library branches will NOT be open. That means lobbies, restrooms and computers will not be accessible.
- Pickup will take place at the library entrances, OUTSIDE the buildings.
- Social distancing will be strictly enforced. You must wear a face covering and follow markers on the ground to maintain 6 feet of distance with other patrons and library staff.
- Staff members will wear face coverings, sanitize their hands for each checkout transaction, and follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention safety guidelines.
Get a complete list of library locations, with addresses and phone numbers: mdpls.org/branches
Get assistance by emailing email@example.com or calling 305-375-2665 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days week.
Get the latest county information on COVID-19: miamidade.gov/coronavirus
ALSO AT THE LIBRARY:
- Unemployment forms and other assistance – The Miami-Dade Public Library System is making printed unemployment and food stamp forms available. Get them in English, Spanish or Creole at tables outside your nearest participating library, from 8 a.m.-7 p.m. seven days a week. You can take the application home to fill out, then drop it off in the library’s book drop or at any CareerSource South Florida location.
Click here for more details.
- Digital resources – The county system is also offering patrons apps and online resources for easy downloading of materials. Digital resources include movies, language lessons, music and magazines. There’s free access to e-books and audiobooks using this library website or an app for smartphones.
Click here for more details.
More Useful Resources
- Florida Sales Tax Holiday: Stock up on storm supplies
- Stimulus payment: Be careful you don’t mistake it for junk mail
- Updated: Miami’s city parks reopen, but watch for restrictions
- Free food distributions: See if you’re eligible!
- Publix chicken tender subs on sale
- Vizcaya offers orchid-care class online (plus a deals alert!)
- Hiring opportunities: These companies are offering jobs
- Free gardening webinar on Florida native plants
- Stressed? Sad? Worried? Mental health assistance is available
- Miami’s Technique Records now offering curbside pickup