Walk through just about any neighborhood in the summer in Miami, and you’ll likely encounter the sweet smell of ripening mangoes. There is an abundance of mango trees of all types and varieties throughout our fair city.
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is dedicating the whole month of July to this sticky and versatile fruit. Its Mango Days of Summer kicked off on July 4.
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter.
Usually a two-day festival, this year’s 28th annual event will stretch the entire month, giving everyone ample opportunity to sample the more than 500 mango varieties grown on the Fairchild Farm in Homestead.
General admission is $25 for adults, $18 for seniors age 65 and older, and $16 for students. A ticket is typically $12 for children age 6-17, but they get in free on opening weekend. Additionally, nonmembers receive a 15 percent membership discount all month with the Mango Month promotion.
Here’s what’s happening:
- Mango Saturdays at the Garden on July 4, 11, 18 and 25. Sample a variety of mango treats from local vendors and artisan shops, or bring your own picnic and blanket to enjoy in the gardens. It’s a great place to enjoy a cool mango smoothie or tasty mango bread.
- A virtual lecture series where you’ll learn proper care for your mango tree.
- Additional collaborations with local shops during the monthlong festival.
Spend the day walking through the lush 83-acre garden, with the only tropical rainforest experience in the continental United States, an orchid garden and the Wings of the Tropics exhibit with hundreds of species of butterflies.
The garden is at 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables.
More about Fairchild & other attractions
- Sundance Festival: Watch award-winning shorts for $10
- Miami-Dade libraries’ Summer Reading Challenge extended
- Free & cheap things to do this weekend in Miami
- Fair Food Drive-Thru returns with new offerings
- Gardens to visit around Miami
- Find PAMM pop-up shop in Miami Design District
- Open or closed? Check status in Miami-Dade
- Friday Nights @ Frost: Only 3 dates left!
- Miami places where you can enjoy public art
- Discount in August! Fairchild offers half-off admission all month long
Virtual entertainment calendar
Monday, August 10, 2020
Tuesday, August 11, 2020
Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Thursday, August 13, 2020
Friday, August 14, 2020
Saturday, August 15, 2020
Sunday, August 16, 2020