Ring in the New Year with fun and entertainment. South Florida offers a wide variety of places to play and sights to see. Lots are free or relatively inexpensive. Some attractions offer discounts.
Please return to this feature, as information and events are added.
Entertainment & events
- Free live entertainment oceanside featuring Street Light Entertainment 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. January 1 at Hollywood Bandshell, 320 Johnson St., Hollywood. Includes Top 40s, Pop and Latin. Parking information is available online
- Haiti Independence Day event in Hollywood, 12 p.m. – 4 p.m., with free entry, free parking and free food. It’s at Boulevard Heights recreation facility, 6770 Garfield Street, Hollywood 33024. Feature: Haiti Independence Day event
- Car show in downtown Hollywood 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. first Sundays, 1900 block of Hollywood Boulevard 33020, free entry to look, fee applies for registering a vehicle, 954-825-1027, website
- Residential lights & holiday display. Displays are open during day and night weather permitting, 2300 North 57th Avenue, Hollywood 33021. Information on Facebook. Park on Thomas Street, east or west of 57th Avenue. Includes inflatables and musical light show 6 p.m. – 11 p.m., and 6 p.m. 12 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays, drive through or park. If driving, use 97.7 FM on your radio. Please don’t block neighbors’ driveways. Feature: Holiday Lights in Broward, greater Palm Beach & Dade
- Fort Lauderdale Swap Shop, Indoor & outdoor vendor booths, flea market, 3291 W. Sunrise Boulevard, Lauderhill 33311, 954-791-7927, website
- Festival Marketplace, Indoor venue with independent shops & vendors, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. January 1, 2900 West Sample Road, Pompano Beach 33073, 954-979-4555, website
- Some farmers markets and vendor markets are open including Sawgrass Mills Mall during mall hours, Indoor Market at Pembroke Lakes Mall during mall hours, Lummus Park Artisanal Market on Ocean Drive in Miami Beach 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. , The Square in Downtown West Palm Beach 10a.m. – 6:30 p.m., The Farmers’ & Artisans’ Market at Merrick Park, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m, Farmers & Artisans market at Shops at Pembroke Gardens 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., Las Olas Oceanside Parkis at 3000 E. Las Olas Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale. Information is online. Verify your favorite is open. Feature: Farmers markets, vendor fairs: Food, vintage wares and handmade goods
Attractions in Broward County
- Xtreme Action Park indoor arcade and recreation venue in Fort Lauderdale, is open 10 a.m. – 12 a.m., 5300 Powerline Road, Fort Lauderdale; 954-491-6265
- Water Taxi in Fort Lauderale Regular adult fares are $35, $30 for seniors and military, $15 for kids 5-11. After 5 p.m., regular fares are $20.
- Butterfly World, 3600 W. Sample Road, Coconut Creek 33073. Discount opportunities are offered. Feature: Butterfly World: $5 off & other discounts
- Downtown Hollywood Murals is a free outdoor exhibit with paintings on buildings and sidewalks.
- Museum of Discovery & Science in Fort Lauderdale, 401 SW Second Street, Fort Lauderdale 33312, is open 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Fees for non-members are 22 for ages 2-12, $27 for adults and $25 for seniors. $3 discount opportunity for Broward, Palm & Dade residents. Purchase tickets online.
- Flamingo Gardens botanical garden and wildlife attraction, 3750 S. Flamingo Road, Davie. Feature: Flamingo Gardens in Davie: wildlife, events & discount opportunities
- NSU Museum of Art in Fort Lauderdale, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., 954-525-5500, 1 E. Las Olas Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, 954-525-5500, website.
Attractions in Palm Beach County
- Silverball Arcade is at 19 NE Third Avenue, Delray Beach 33483, 561-266-3294; regular entry fees are $15 – $20, which includes game play. Feature: Silverball Retro Arcade
- Boca Museum of Art, 501 Plaza Real, Boca Raton, 33432, website, $16 for adults, $12 for seniors, free for kids 14 and younger, free for high school students 17 and younger with ID
- Boomers Boca Raton, recreation park, 3100 Airport Road, Boca Raton 33431, 12 p.m. – 8 p.m. January 1, 954-347-1888 website
- Cox Science Center & Aquarium is open 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., 4801 Dreher Trail North, West Palm Beach 33405, 561-832-1988, with entry fees $20.95 for 13 and older, $16.95 for 3-12, $18.95 for seniors, with discount opportunities featured online
Attractions in Miami-Dade County
- Fairchild Botanic Garden, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., 10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, $11.95 – $24.95
- Santa’s Enchanted Forest is at 7400 NW 87th Avenue, Miami 33166, Feature: Santa’s Enchanted Forest for pricing and discounts
- Magic of Lights Homestead at Homestead Speedway, 1 Ralph Sanchez Speedway Blvd., is a holiday drive-thru experience set for 6-10 p.m.; standard vehicle pricing is $25; 866-409-7223
- Frost Science Museum, 1101 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, 305-434-9600, website
- Zoo Miami, 12400 SW 152nd St., 305-251-0400; website
- Florida State Parks entry fees for state parks usually $2-$10 per person or per vehicle. Some parks in Florida offer First Day Hikes.
- Palm Beach County Parks
- Broward County parks, holiday fees of $1.50 for ages 6 & older apply at various parks
- Miami-Dade Parks are open, with a few exceptions
- Riverwalk in Fort Lauderdale is ideal for waterfront walks
- Hollywood Broadwalk runs oceanside, a popular venue for walking, skating and live entertainment
- Other local municipal parks and natural areas may be open, but please verify with your city department
Tri-Rail train runs in greater Palm Beach, Broward and Dade. Weekend and holiday rates are $5 for all day rides. Feature: Tri-Rail offers $5 fares weekends & holidays
Entertainment from home
- Download free digital movies, e-books and music, plus other online resources, from Broward County libraries, or other libraries you’re affiliated with
- Museum of Discovery & Science in Fort Lauderdale offers videos on YouTube and other social media
- Live webcams at Broward County beaches
- Webcams at Palm Beach County beaches
- Webcams in Miami-Dade County
- Manatee webcam from Manatee Lagoon in West Palm Beach