The Miami-Dade County Animal Services Department is helping pet owners prepare for the upcoming hurricane season.
The agency will be providing free booster vaccines, microchips and hurricane kits (while supplies last) for the dogs and cats of Miami-Dade County residents who have found themselves financially affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. So far, events have been scheduled for select Saturdays through May.
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter and visit our Facebook group page.
The schedule is as follows:
April 17 – Fern Isle Park, 2201 NW 11th St. May 15 – Juan Pablo Duarte Park, 2800 NW 17th Ave.
- May 22 – Little Haiti Cultural Center, 212 NE 59th Terrace
Please note: Services will be offered by appointment only, and residents must show documented proof of financial hardship.
Residents may present any of the following:
- Proof of unemployment benefits after the declaration of the state of emergency for the pandemic (March 12, 2020)
- Layoff or reduction of work hours’ notice from employer
- Approval of mortgage/rental assistance support related to the pandemic
- Approval for food stamps as of the date of the declaration
- Other documentation subject to the review and acceptance of Miami-Dade Animal Services.
For more information on this program, which is supported through grant funding from PetSmart Charities, visit the agency’s Facebook page. To make an appointment, call 311.
Free spay/neuter services for Miami-Dade pets
Pet owners: We’ve learned of a free spay and neuter service in Miami-Dade County.
Every first Friday of the month, the county’s Animal Services Department is offering the surgical procedure for dogs and cats, at no charge.
Billed as “Free First Friday,” the event takes place at Robbie’s Feed & Supply, 22390 SW 177th Ave., Miami. Organizers have said they alternate between cats and dogs per Friday, so be sure to check which pet is eligible on any given month. For more information, click here.
Publix: Get your pet medications at the pharmacy
Did you know Publix fills pet meds? The Lakeland-based supermarket giant makes it convenient to pick up your prescriptions – and your pet’s – in a one-stop shopping experience.
All Florida locations offer heartworm and flea/tick prescriptions, as well as antibiotics and allergy medicine. Find out more by clicking here.
Other pet news:
Other useful resources
- School’s out! Here are special offers for teachers
- Where to get a COVID vaccine in Miami-Dade
- Veggies & herbs you can grow inside in summer
- Hurricane preparedness: How to build an emergency kit
- Hurricane prep for pets: Have your supplies?
- Prime Day 2021 is almost here: Here’s how to score great deals
- Free spay/neuter services for Miami-Dade pets
- Miami-Dade transit fares resume (but there are discounts)
- Free Miami-Dade hurricane app provides up-to-the-minute info, tips
- Hurricane season: How to prepare (without spending too much)