Miami actors and writers aren’t letting stay-at-home orders stop them from entertaining the masses.
They are presenting free play readings online through GableStage At The Biltmore.
Re-imagined as ENGAGE@GableStage, the program at 7 p.m. Fridays shows original works by local playwrights. The world premiere of these projects was made possible through a commissioning grant process.
To keep up with latest news, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. You can also follow us on Facebook and on Twitter and visit our Facebook group page
Each award-winning play can be seen from its premiere date through Sept. 25.
Here’s the lineup:
- “Sight and Sound,” a piece by resident photographer George Schiavone and sound designer Matt Corey. Currently showing.
- “Intimate/Internet,” by Brandon Urrutia and Michael Yawney, about a young guy trying to find love online while shuttered in his parent’s house. Currently showing.
- “A Florida Story” gives voice to South Florida’s anonymous and voiceless people, written by Jessica Farr and Caleb Scott. Premieres Aug. 21.
- “Pretty Boy Josh,” by Joshua Hernandez, explores the still existing stigma of homosexuality in the LatinX community. Premieres Aug. 28.
- “American Bullet,” by Rachel Finley, explores America’s obsession with violence as she re-tells her life story of an active shooter at her son’s school. Premieres Sept. 4.
- “Reboot,” by Greg Weiner, is a dark comedy about a man’s mid-life crisis. Premieres Sept. 11.
- “Stars in the Bard,” by Colin McPhillamy, looks at the unlikely connection between Shakespeare and 16th and early 17th-century astrology. Premieres Sept. 18.
- “1/1000,” by Joshua Jean-Baptiste, is a short sci-fi film and digital theater piece about dealing with isolation during a pandemic, as well as racial tensions. Premieres Sept. 25.
Aside from online theater, you can watch even more cultural presentations through Arsht@Home. Watch dance and music performances by the Arsht Center’s partner groups and take tours of Miami’s museums and galleries. Click here for more details.
More Virtual Entertainment
- Free & cheap things to do this weekend in Miami
- Discounted prices at Vizcaya Museum & Gardens
- Fairchild’s ‘Dog Dates at the Garden’: 1 session left!
- Art aficionados: View live painting sessions at Shops at Merrick Park
- Free and cheap Halloween events in Miami
- Miami music: Where to go for free concert livestreams
- Zoo Miami’s open again! Stroll the wide open spaces
- Summer Savings Pass 2020: 4 attractions for 1 price – UPDATED
- What’s open in Miami? Check status here
- #DidYouKnow Miami has a planes museum? Learn more!
Saturday, September 19, 2020
Sunday, September 20, 2020
Monday, September 21, 2020
Tuesday, September 22, 2020
Wednesday, September 23, 2020
Thursday, September 24, 2020
Friday, September 25, 2020