Memorial Day honors the memory of men and women who gave their lives serving in the United States Armed Forces. This year, Memorial Day Monday falls on May 27. The public is invited to these free ceremonies throughout Miami-Dade County:
The National Salute to America's Heroes / Air & Sea Show / The Music Explosion: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. along Ocean Drive between 11th and 14th streets in Miami Beach. Free. Presented by Hyundai. “The Greatest Show Above the Earth” will showcase the men, women, technology and equipment from all five branches of the United States military as well as police, firefighters and first responder agencies.
This two-day event will feature civilian aerobatic acts, offshore powerboat racing demonstrations, extreme water sports and more, all on the beautiful shores of Miami Beach. Ocean Drive will be closed to vehicles on Memorial Day weekend. Come see top musical talent performing on the Music Explosion Stage presented by Hyundai inside the Display Village. The USAF and US Army bands will be performing live during the event along with other musical acts and DJ Irie mixing your favorite music. There also will be a kids zone.
Memorial Day Weekend Kick-off Happy Hour: 4-7 p.m. with $1 pints and $3 wines by the glass. The Wharf Miami, 114 SW North River Dr.
Palmetto Bay at Deering Memorial Day Celebration: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a military parade, scavenger hunt, live band and DJ, giant board games, On the Bay adventures, historic tours and food vendors. Deering Estate, 16701 SW 72 Ave. Admission $7.
Donk Contest Miami Pop Up event: 3-7 p.m. enjoy a car show and festivities, bring a donk or enter the twerk show. 800 Ocean Dr. Admission is free.
City of Coral Gables: 9 a.m. at the War Memorial Youth Center, 405 University Dr. 305-460-5600.
Village of Miami Shores: 9 a.m. at Memorial Park, Northeast 2nd Avenue and 94th street.
Village of Palmetto Bay:
City of Miami Springs: 10 a.m. at the War Memorial on Curtiss Parkway, 104 Curtiss Pkwy. 305-805-5000.
City of North Miami Beach: 11 a.m. to noon at Corporal Howard B. Hinson Park for Fallen War Heroes, 160 St. and NE 14 Ave. 305-947-7581.
Other Memorial Day events:
Memorial Day at Perez Art Museum Miami: 1 to 4 p.m. ($16 admission adults; $12 for youth, seniors, students; Free for members, active duty military personnel, veterans and family members.) PAMM will host a Memorial Day celebration on the terrace overlooking Biscayne Bay. Enjoy live music by the garage band Amy Arlo and Almost Blue, a tasty hot dog station brews on the terrace and art-making and kid-friendly activities. Inside the iconic museum, explore the current exhibitions and more. 1103 Biscayne Blvd. 305-375-3000.
Memorial Day Weekend freebies and deals
- Ace Hardware: Ace Hardware pledges to give away 1 million free 8″ x 12″ American flags this Memorial Day weekend on May 25. A second flag is donated to a local VFW Post to be used mark the graves of those who once served. No purchase necessary, while supplies last.
- A Story Before Bed : This offer is available year round for military parents. Members of one of the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces who are deploying or already deployed are eligible to sign up for free recordings from A Story Before Bed.
- Military and their families can visit museums free all summer through the Blue Star Museums program. That includes 25 museums in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and the Keys.
- Espanola Way: Enjoy a performance by a military band and all military with valid ID receive a complimentary haircut at Contesta Rock Hair Salon.
- Fogo de Chao : Military veterans and active duty personnel will receive 50% off their meal on Monday, May 27. Accompanying diners (up to 3) will receive 10% off their meals. Present your military ID to get this offer. Fogo de Chao offers a 10% discount for military personnel at any time.
- Gold Coast Railroad Museum: Military veterans and active duty with valid ID receive complimentary admission on May 27.
- Nikki Beach: Military veterans and active duty personnel receive 10% discount May 25-27. May 25: Food and drink specials from 4-6 p.m. including $5 rosé wine, $2 oysters and $7 ceviche. May 26: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., $7 Sangria.
- Outback Steakhouse: Service men and women, police officers and firefighters will receive 10% off their meals all day, every day of the year. You must show valid military ID.
- Proyecto Tulum: Wynwood's newest restaurant concept is offering retired and active armed forces members with valid ID 27% off their total bill.
- Texas de Brazil : Active duty military and veterans will receive 50% off their lunch or dinner on Monday, May 28. Additional accompanying diners (up to 7) will also receive 20% of their dinner or lunch.
- Miami Seaquarium is offering free admission to veterans, military, police, fire and EMT personnel from May 21-28. A valid military or first responder photo I.D. is required. Accompanying family (up to four guests) will receive 50% off admission.