We found these free and cheap Earth Day events happening throughout Miami-Dade County in the month of April. Some are celebrations and some ask for volunteers, but all are good for Mother Earth.
Coding for Kids Hackathon: Saving the Planet with Code
Join forces with Tynker for the Coding for Kids Hackathon. Kids will learn environmental awareness and how to care for our planet during this computer coding challenge. The event will take place simultaneously at four library locations. Winners will receive small prizes and giveaways. Please contact the branch to register. Best for ages 8–18. Saturday, April 28, 10 am – 1 pm at Miami Beach Regional, West Kendall Regional, North Dade Regional and South Dade Regional libraries.
Earth & Arbor Day Celebration in Aventura
In honor of being named a Tree City USA for the 21st consecutive year by the National Arbor Day Foundation, the City of Aventura invites the community to its annual Earth & Arbor Day celebration. The ceremony will be held at 9:30 am on Friday, April 27, at the Aventura Arts & Cultural Center, 3385 NE 188 St.
Aventura City of Excellence School students will showcase a dedication with art as well as music and dance performances. The City will also recognize local businesses and residential communities by presenting them with 2018 Aventura GO Green Recognition awards for their efforts to reduce energy consumption and encourage sustainability. The City’s GO Green campaign encourages all City departments and the community to practice environmental sustainability by making responsible decisions that reduce negative impacts on the environment, save energy, and lower operational costs.
For more information, contact the Community Services Department at 305-466-3883.
Earth Day Celebration for Kids at the Barnacle
Join Little Ladies and Gents in celebrating the Earth with eco-friendly products, food, live music, games and crafts. Hop aboard the AET Kids Fit & Fun Bus (a full-size refurbished school bus made into a mobile fun and fit center). Pedal your way to a delicious treat on the bike blender. Decorate your bike and ride it in the bike parade. Hear Alana Resaul of Lotus Fields Forever Inc. speak about how to work and co-exist with Mother Nature. Enjoy a book reading by 8-year-old Edwin Bonilla Jr., award winning author of the Moonbeam Children’s Book Award, and participate in an interactive book workshop by Yajaira De La Espada, creator of the zine “Negra Sappha.”
Picnics and well behaved pets on hand-held leashes no longer than six feet are welcome.
The event is 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, April 29 at The Barnacle in Coconut Grove. Admission is $5 for ages 6 and up and $2 for kids ages 2 to 5.
FUNDARTE PRESENTS CLIMAKAZE MIAMI BEACH 2018 on April 20, 21, and 22 at Miami Beach Botanical Garden and other venues.
Produced by FUNDarte in partnership with Siren arts, Climakaze Miami hosts three diverse days of free activities on April 20, 21, and 22 at the Miami Beach Botanical Garden, and on bikeways and beaches.The events include performances of Elizabeth Doud’s The Mermaid Tear Factory through the gardens and along Lincoln Road, an Eco-Arts Gathering; a Bike-Dance-Swim Excursion and the “Dear Climate” creative writing intensive taking place over the weekend at the Miami Beach Botanical Garden, and on bikeways and beaches.All events are free and open to the public. Visit www.climakazimiami.org or call 305.519.6877 for more info.
Celebrate Mother Earth at the Garden from 5:30-9 pm on Friday, April 20
- Energizing yoga class by Tropical Vinyasa’s Mike and Amy Dannheim
- Meditation and Sound Bowls by Innergy Meditation
- Performance of The Mermaid Tear Factory by Elizabeth Doud
- Art exhibits by Miami Eco-Artists Matt Stock (Everglades at Night, as pictured above) and Colin Foord from Coral Morphalogic.
- Reveal of the Garden’s new Demonstration Pine Rockland.
- Native Plant Giveaway (made possible by grant funding from City of Miami Beach/Miami Beach Rising Above)
- Timely information from local environmental groups and Artisans.
- Break Bread with Whole Foods as we dedicate their new bench.
- Delicious bowls and snacks available for purchase.
- Free and open to the public with registration. A suggested donation of $15.
GET YOUR GREEN ON AT THE YARD from 11 am-4 pm April 21 at the Wynwood Yard
Get your green on with fun, hands-on, educational workshops and activities for the entire family including a plant-based baking cooking class with Chef Pamela Wasabi ($20) and a make your own easy and tasty trail mix in recycled #5 containers by Whole Foods Market. Bring your old clothing to up-cycle it into bracelets with The Full Edit, and learn about planting medicinal plants in Earth Mother’s Herbalist Gardening Workshop. Meet local organizations and small businesses that are making big impacts, like Surfrider Foundation, Debris Free Oceans, and Urban Green Works, as they share tips at their informational booths. Shop earth-friendly products from local producers and artisans like Respect the Fin, make flower crowns with Zoom Blooms, and be sure to stop by the photo booth to get your Earth Day pic in front of the Andromeda Studios Living Wall. Choose from three options of $6 beers from Concrete Beach, Saltwater Brewing, and South Beach Brewing, with a portion of proceeds going back to an environmental focused non-profit. All ages are welcome. Admission is free with RSVP.
ZOO MIAMI’S Party for the Planet Earth Day celebration will be Saturday, April 21, and Sunday, April 22, from 10 am to 3 pm at Zoo Miami. Admission is free with the donation of a used cell phone. More details. here.
PALMETTO BAY CELEBRATES EARTH DAY WITH WEEK-LONG EVENTS
- Kick off begins with local schools releasing Ladybugs April 16-18.
- April 20: Watch the movie”Nut Job 2″ at Coral Reef Park at 8 p.m.
- April 21: 8th Annual “Shade Palmetto Bay” Free Tree Giveaway at Ludovici Park. One tree per household.
- April 22: Celebrate Earth Day at Coral Reef Park from 1 to 4 p.m. There will be lots of activities ranging from a guided bike ride, Pineland Nature walk, Canal Clean-up aboard Kayaks, Kids BMX Demo Course, Animal Encounters and Adoptions and more. Don’t forget to bring your blankets/chairs to enjoy a beautiful day in the park. Details here.
Miami Seaquarium Earth Day celebrations and 50% off discount
Miami Seaquarium is hosting “Four Days, Four Events, For Earth” April 19 – 22. In addition to “Four Days, Four Events, For Earth,” Miami Seaquarium will offer 50 percent off admission on Earth Day, April 22, when purchasing ticket online using promo code “earthday” at www.miamiseaquarium.com/offers.
- Green Drinks/Beach clean-up with 4Ocean. Thursday, April 19, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Sunset happy hour/beach clean-up at Hobie Beach, adjacent to the Seaquarium’s parking lot. The happy hour will include a guest lecture by 4Ocean, a nonprofit that removes trash from the ocean and coastlines. Happy hour will begin at 6:30 p.m., with the lecture at 7 p.m. and the clean-up will follow. This event is free. Drinks will be provided free courtesy of Sombra Mezcal, a tequila company that is dedicated to sustainable practices. This is a BYOC (bring your own cup event).
- 4earth Moana Movie Festival. Friday, April 21, 7:30 p.m. The family-friendly evening will showcase Disney’s Moana. Families may bring their own lawn chairs or blankets to watch the films. Free.
- 4earth Lionfish Derby & Reef Clean-up. Saturday, April 22, 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Miami Seaquarium is hosting a Lionfish Derby & Reef Clean-up. Divers are invited to volunteer to catch lionfish and clean our reefs. To register please contact dive shop Deco Divers at 305-861-6277 for meeting time and location. Participants will be given a discounted rate.
- 4earth Block Party. Sunday, April 22, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Miami Seaquarium guests will have the opportunity to learn about environmental issues via stations throughout the park, including the Sea2Shore H2O education bus and Living Shorelines from MUVE at Frost Science. Additional activities include composting workshops for families, Miami Seaquarium rescue and rehab activities, and earthing for kids – a fun and meditational way to connect with nature. Admission to this event is included with a Miami Seaquarium general admission ticket. Get 50 percent off admission April 22, when purchasing ticket online using promo code “earthday” at www.miamiseaquarium.com/offers.
Earth Day Festival at Pinecrest Gardens
The Village of Pinecrest is sponsoring a free Earth Day Festival from noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday, April 22, at Pinecrest Gardens. The event will include plant vendors, workshops, food demos, planting activities, performances for children by Fantasy Theater, green vendors, wildlife shows, local school performances, crafts for kids, lady bug releases, and more. The Farmers Market also will be open. You can find parking at Christ the King Church, Palmetto Senior High and Pinecrest Elementary, with free shuttle service to and from the Gardens.
DADELAND MALL CELEBRATES EARTH DAY WITH MORNING MINDFULNESS
10 am-noon on April 22. Free.
The mall and Annie the Alchemist are sponsoring this event. Early risers will enjoy a complimentary Earth Day yoga session hosted by Four Feathers yoga starting at 10 a.m., followed by a Chakra-Balancing & Meditation 101 class performed by Reiki & Chakra-certified Annie Vazquez, founder of the wellness brand Annie the Alchemist, beginning at 11 am. Beginning at noon, guests can enjoy light bites from Earls, free smoothie and beverage samples from GNC and Deezfruta, and nail touch-ups from Dadeland Nail Spa.
- 10 a.m.: Yoga
- 11 a.m.: Meditation
- Noon: Pop-up shop & samples
Earth Day specials and deals
- BurgerFi. Participating shops are offering $5 VegeFi Burgers and $5 plant-based Beyond Burgers. With all burgers purchased that day, receive a free “plantable burger” coaster for growing produce. One per person. Valid April 22.
- Evos is offering a free organic milkshake on Friday, April 20.
- Miami Seaquarium will offer 50 percent off admission on Earth Day, April 22, when purchasing ticket online using promo code “earthday” at www.miamiseaquarium.com/offers.
- Ikea First 200 shoppers with Family membership, which is free to join, receive a free laundry bag Saturday and free hanger Sunday, and free chocolate bar. Workshops will be offered during the weekend, and you can find a coupon online for $25 off a $150 purchase Saturday or Sunday.
Got an event for this post? Submit here