Miami’s cultural venues and attractions have adjusted to the current situation by going virtual. That means, visitors may not be able to physically walk through their doors but they can do so electronically.
Here’s a list we’ve compiled of places that are offering virutal tours and activities for kids and adults alike. We encourage you to keep checking back as this list will be regularly updated.
- Vizcaya Museum and Gardens presents its free Online Experiences, which includes virtual tours, video lectures and performances. Explore areas of Vizcaya that visitors rarely get to see, such as the stone barge and the swimming pool grotto. Find out how a lost manuscript by James Deering’s assistant shines a light on life at Vizcaya. Watch past performances from artists who participated in Vizcaya’s Professional Arts Workshops for three consecutive years. Also available are lectures, expert interviews, archive content and behind-the-scenes moments.
- Deering Estate’s learning team is providing a “Science @ Home” virtual series featuring at-home science activities for parents and children. Follow @DiscoverDeering on Instagram and Instagram Stories to try your hand at indoor experiments. Adults also can follow @DeeringEstate and join Deering’s curatorial team on Instagram and Instagram Stories for a virtual tour that explores the estate and relates its special history and past events.
- Bass Museum is offering virtual tours of its current exhibitions, streams of its “Curator Culture” talk with artists sharing insight into past exhibitions, as well as “Art Camp from Home” for kids.
- Jungle Island is offering programming for kids age 5-12 during Spring Break week. Find daily lessons and themes starting at 11 a.m. Monday through Friday via their Facebook and Instagram pages.
- New World Symphony known as America’s Orchestral Academy, is presenting a series of online performances and musical insights via streaming partners Medici TV and IDAGIO. Watch as Conductor Michael Tilson Thomas leads the symphony in past performances, as well as upcoming chamber music concerts and the web-based series NWS Archive+.
- HistoryMiami Museum offers virtual looks at current exhibitions, both permanent and traveling as well as their archives collections.
- ICA Miami in the Design District has plenty to offer online including musical performances, poetry readings and talks with curators.
- Frost Science Museum lets you look behind the scenes with videos and walk through virtually via their Frost Science blog, FrostScience@Home.
- MOCA located in Downtown North Miami has gone virtual and is showcasing a tour of the exhibition “Cecilia Vicuna: About to Happen.”
- Perez At Museum Miami offers a look inside its massive space and current and permanent exhibitions, as well as art talks and children’s programming.
- The Wolfsonian – FIU is showcasing their exhibitions via virtual tours, the more than decade-long blog by their librarian and video of artists discussing their work.
- Frost Art FIU has virtual tours of three of their exhibitions, along with video montages of current exhibitions and a look behind the scenes with Museum staff.
- Miami New Drama is offering a series of free online virtual classes on writing, acting and creating and directing a musical.
- Free livestream concerts
- Metropolitan Opera live streams
- Streaming pro basketball, football and hockey