Some of these have reopened, we’ve noted those below.
Miami’s cultural venues and attractions have adjusted to the current situation by going virtual. That means, visitors may not be able to physically walk through their doors but they can do so electronically.
Here’s a list we’ve compiled of places that are offering virtual tours and activities for kids and adults alike. We encourage you to keep checking back as this list will be regularly updated.
- AXS Art is offering free online art classes with a rotating list of local artists on Wednesdays at 6 p.m.
- Bass Museum is offering virtual tours of its current exhibitions, streams of its “Curator Culture” talk with artists sharing insight into past exhibitions, as well as “Art Camp from Home” for kids and Breakfast at the (Virtual) Bass on Thursdays at 11 a.m. See and download their virtual offerings here.
- Fountainhead Residency is offering virtual studio visits, artist talks and artists open online. See the virtual offerings here.
- Frost Art FIU has virtual tours of three of their exhibitions, along with video montages of current exhibitions and a look behind the scenes with Museum staff.
- ICA Miami in the Design District has plenty to offer online including musical performances, poetry readings and talks with curators.
- Life Is Art is on a mission to create the largest online gallery of works by South Florida artists, adding new ones to view on a regular basis. They’re also hosting weekly virtual artist studio visits on Thursdays during the virtual Venture Cafe Miami events, RSVP here.
- MOCA located in Downtown North Miami has gone virtual and is showcasing a tour of the exhibitions “Cecilia Vicuna: About to Happen” and “Alice Rahon: Poetic Invocations.”
- Oolite Arts (formerly the South Florida Arts Center) is presenting online/virtual programming with Netflix watch parties, Skills Workshops, Art Talks, Art Classes and Connection discussions. RSVP and participate in these programs via their Facebook page.
- Perez At Museum Miami offers a look inside its massive space and current and permanent exhibitions, as well as art talks and children’s programming.
- The Wolfsonian – FIU is showcasing its exhibitions via virtual tours, the more than decade-long blog by their librarian and video of artists discussing their work.
- Deering Estate’s learning team is providing a “Science @ Home” virtual series featuring at-home science activities for parents and children. Follow @DiscoverDeering on Instagram and Instagram Stories to try your hand at indoor experiments. Adults also can follow @DeeringEstate and join Deering’s curatorial team on Instagram and Instagram Stories for a virtual tour that explores the estate and relates its special history and past events. Deering Estate’s open-air areas are open to the public in limited capacity, read about it here. OPEN
- Frost Science Museum lets you look behind the scenes with videos and walk through virtually via their Frost Science blog, FrostScience@Home. Also, every Wednesday at 2 p.m. Live@FrostScience on their Facebook page. OPEN.
- HistoryMiami Museum offers virtual looks at current exhibitions, both permanent and traveling as well as their archives collections. Virtual content changes weekly including Miami Moments with Dr. George and other tours and interviews on their HHM On Demand page. You can submit your Miami story virtually by video or in writing to be part of the Museum’s Miami Stories initiative.
- Jungle Island is offering programming for kids age 5-12. Find daily lessons and themes starting at 11 a.m. Monday through Friday via their Facebook and Instagram pages. They’re also hosting a weekly Facebook Live chat with animal doctor Dr. Jason Chatfield, on Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.
- Miami Beach Botanical Garden on Miami Beach is offering virtual yoga classes and garden-related activities via their Facebook page.
- Vizcaya Museum and Gardens presents its free Online Experiences, which includes virtual tours, video lectures and performances. Explore areas of Vizcaya that visitors rarely get to see, such as the stone barge and the swimming pool grotto. Find out how a lost manuscript by James Deering’s assistant shines a light on life at Vizcaya. Watch past performances from artists who participated in Vizcaya’s Professional Arts Workshops for three consecutive years. Also available are lectures, expert interviews, archive content and behind-the-scenes moments. Vizcaya’s 10 acres of outdoor gardens are open to the public with social distancing rules in place. Read about it here. OPEN
- Actors’ Playhouse is streaming performances by actors from past performances via their YouTube page.
- The Betsy Hotel Miami’s arts and culture boutique hotel is presenting their Zen and the Art series online via their website.
- City Theatre is presenting Virtual Shorts split up into Behind the Shorts (conversations with theatre makers), Small Talks (interviews with guests artists) and Live Theatre + (live readings of short plays) on Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. via Facebook Live.
- Koubek en Casa from the Koubek Center Miami Dade College has Afro-Cuban dance classes Tuesdays at 7 p.m., Music mini-concerts, dramatic readings and virtual storytelling. Visit their website for the revolving schedule.
- MDC Live Arts is presenting weekly virtual events as part of their ECOCultura series via their Facebook Page and Instagram.
- Miami Light Project moves forward with their current season, presenting upcoming events on filmmaking and dance via their Facebook page.
- Miami New Drama is offering a series of free online virtual classes on writing, acting and creating and directing a musical in both English and Spanish. See what’s next here.
- New World Symphony known as America’s Orchestral Academy, is presenting a series of online performances and musical insights via streaming partners Medici TV and IDAGIO. Watch as Conductor Michael Tilson Thomas leads the symphony in past performances, as well as upcoming chamber music concerts and the web-based series NWS Archive+. Symphony fellows will do Live From Our Living Room concerts at 7 p.m. Fridays on Facebook.
- Seminole Theatre presents an online series of livestream events including family storytime with resident actors and choreography with resident performers featuring dance instruction for beginner level. RSVP required.
- South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center is presenting weekly SMDCAC Sessions, a virtual cabaret series featuring local artists in new performances. Thursdays at 7 p.m. on their Facebook page.
- Viernes Culturales/Cultural Fridays, one of Miami’s longest-running monthly events is hosting live events daily at 4 p.m. on their Instagram page.
- Free livestream concerts
- Metropolitan Opera live streams
- Streaming pro basketball, football and hockey
More Fun for Kids
- Free family day at Coral Gables Museum
- Free & cheap things to do in Miami this week
- Zoo Miami offers $15 Mondays
- Free bowling for kids all summer!
- Miami-Dade County Youth Fair rescheduled for fall 2021
- How to get free Back-to-School supplies & more
- Florida’s tax-free shopping for school supplies & apparel starts soon
- 10 unique outdoor activities at Miami-Dade parks
- Free PAMM admission for students & educators
- Free Family Days at Miami Beach’s Bass Museum
More Virtual Entertainment
- Free & cheap things to do this weekend in Miami
- Free live music in Miami Beach
- Veza Sur Brewing Co. offers 2 days of beer and soccer
- Miami’s having a Pastelito Fest – and it’s free!
- Miami International Auto Show happening this fall: Get new dates here!
- Live Nation offering $20 concert tickets
- A guide to Miami festivals & events in 2021 – UPDATED
- Free movie ticket to see Disney’s ‘Jungle Cruise,’ courtesy of Applebee’s
- Canceled Miami festivals & other events – UPDATED
- Free family day at Coral Gables Museum