It’s only fitting that Miami Beach should pay homage to the architecture and era that put it on the world map, and it does so every January with Art Deco Weekend presented by the Miami Design Preservation League.
This year’s event runs noon to 10 pm Friday, Jan. 12; 10 am to 10 pm Saturday, Jan. 13; and 10 am to 8 pm Sunday, Jan. 14. The events take place mainly along Ocean Drive between Fifth and 13th streets and on the sand in that area. The event is free and open to the public.
This year’s theme is Art Deco Around The World celebrating more art, music and family fun. With more than 85 events, the festival includes just about everything from photo exhibits to tours to music to dancing to kids’ activities to cooking demos to fashion shows to acting. Art Deco era cars are part of the classic car show while vintage clothing and accessories will be for sale.
Whether are a Great Gatsby era fan, history buff, classic car enthusiast, or looking for fun things to do with the kids, the 40th annual Art Deco Weekend community cultural festival brings more things to do this year. Just some of the free things to do include:
- Enter your pooch in one or more of the 10 categories of the NEW “Bark Deco Dog Show.”
- Shop the “Antique & Design Promenade” — featuring antique, vintage and home furnishings dealers.
- Shop the “Art & Street Fair” with more than 60 new fine art vendors, as well as enjoy live performances by Miami’s own Fantasy Theater
- Bring the little ones to the “Deco Kids Club” full of activities by Miami’s leading cultural institutions.
- See five blocks of impeccable vintage cars on Ocean Drive at the “Classic Car Show.”
- Enjoy live music and cocktails day and night, including jazz, swing, 50s & 60s, rock and classical in the “Starlight Lounge,” “Speakeasy” and “The Stage” under the palm trees in Lummus Park.
- Grab a front row seat at the “Retro Fashion Show” on the steps of the Art Deco Welcome Center.
- Attend the highly-regarded “Lecture Series” on a wide range of preservation and history related topics.
All these fabulous events and more take place along or near Ocean Drive, which is closed to traffic and makes room for pedestrians to stroll this world-famous street lined with historic, pastel-colored, neon-lit Art Deco buildings.
Other ticketed things to do:
- Official guided walking tours (most are priced at $25)
- Miami Jazz Age Lawn Party (Starts at $65)
Check the full schedule on the website at or call 305-672-2014 for more information.