The Florida Center for the Literary Arts at Miami Dade College is bringing some top authors into town this week as part of its Writers Institute.
Even if you’re not participating in the institute, you can hear authors speak for free at the Lunchtime Reads series on the Wolfson Campus in downtown Miami. (Lunch is $10 or bring your own.)
There are a few other free presentations, too including a chance to pitch your masterpiece to agents. Here is the schedule:
- CHENJERAI HOVE: One of Africa’s leading literary voices presents “The Literature of Social Justice,” at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 5, Room 3210, Bldg. 3, secondd floor
- Dorothy Allison and Connie May Fowler: 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 5, Room 3210, Bldg. 3, second floor.
- Rick Bragg, Samuel G. Freedman and Carolina Garcia-Aguilera: 12:30 p.m. Thursday, May 6, Room 3210, Bldg. 3, second floor.
- Carolyn Forché, Mark Siegel and Teresa Dovalpage: 12:30 p.m. Friday, May 7, Room 3210, Bldg. 3, second floor.
- Pitch-O-Rama: Literary agents and industry professionals will hear one-minute pitches on your book ideas. Preregistration required; details here. 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 8, Room 2106, Bldg. 2, first floor.