The Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department is offering a week of Halloween happenings for families, kids, and teens, from Halloween movie nights and costume contests, to haunted houses and spooky trail hikes.
Some items are free and others have an admission charge:
- Dr. Wilde’s Creepy House at Zoo Miami, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. now through Oct. 31, $5 plus zoo admission. A 7,000-square-foot haunted house guaranteed to send chills up and down your spine. Parental discretion is advised for young children. The cost is $5 per person, plus regular zoo admission of $15.95 for adults and $10.95 for children (buy online and save $1 or print out the coupon from Miami Attractions Month for 2-for-1 admission). Zoo Miami is located at 12400 SW 152 St., Miami. For more information call 305-251-0400.
- Free “Spooktacular Movie Night” at Devon Aire Park, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24, free. Bring your kids in their Halloween best for a free outdoor screening of the movie Hotel Transylvania (rated-PG), plus free Halloween candy, popcorn and refreshments. The event is sponsored by Miami-Dade County Commissioner Lynda Bell. Bring your own blankets and lawn chairs. Devon Aire Park is at 10411 SW 122 Avenue, Miami. Call 305-270-4951.
- Campfire & Night Walk at Arch Creek Park, 7:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25, $6 per person. Venture through this tropical hardwood hammock at dust and experience the sights and sounds of eastern screech owls, raccoons, night spiders and more. The guided walk concludes with a campfire. Wear closed-toe shoes and bring along a flashlight and a bag of marshmallows. Halloween costumes are welcome. Arch Creek Park is at 1855 NE 135 Street, North Miami. For more information, visit www.miamiecoadventures.org or call 305-944-6111.
- Halloween Campfire & Night Walk at Castellow Hammock Park, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25, $5 per person. Join a park naturalist on a wildlife hike through the woods and then join the campfire. Wear closed-toe shoes and bring a flashlight and a bag of marshmallows. Halloween costumes are welcome. Castellow Hammock Park is at 22301 SW 162 Avenue, Miami. For more information, visit www.miamiecoadventures.org or call 305-242-7688.
- Spooky Zoo Nights at Zoo Miami, 7 to 11 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25, and Saturday, Oct. 26, $10.95 per person ($9.95 for zoo members) or buy online and save $1 per person. The fun includes tours of Dr. Wilde’s Creepy House, spooky tram rides and a ghoulish carousel (for an additional fee). Goodies, roving street theater and chilling story-telling will add excitement t is $10.95/person and $9.95/person for zoo members. Zoo Miami is at 12400 SW 152 St., Miami. For more information call 305-251-0400.
- Ghost Tour “Be Your Own Investigator” at the Deering Estate, 7 to 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25, $30 per person. “Be Your Own Investigator” and become part of the Paranormal Investigative Team as we discover evidence and occurrences with the League of Paranormal Investigators. Tickets can be purchased online for an additional fee at www.deeringestate.org, or by calling the Deering Estate Ticket Office at 305-235-1668 ext. 233. The Deering Estate at Cutler is at 16701 SW 72 Ave., Palmetto Bay.
- Zoo Boo!, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, and Sunday, Oct. 27, zoo admission of $15.95 per adult and $11.95 per child 3 to 12 (buy online and save $1 or print out the coupon from Miami Attractions Month for 2-for-1 admission). Families and kids 12 and under can trick-or-treat in costumes, participate in costume contests, watch special performances, make Halloween crafts, see zoo animals get their Halloween goodies and more. Music and games by Radio Disney AM 990 and The Coast 97.3 FM. Zoo Miami is at 12400 SW 152 St., Miami. For more information call 305-251-0400.
- Halloween Fright Night at Zoo Miami, 8 p.m. to midnight Thursday, Oct. 31, $12 per person (buy online and save $1 or get two tickets for $12 here). Looking for a horrifying Halloween night experience for young adults? Wear your Halloween costume and enjoy a 7,000-square-foot haunted house with live actors, a DJ, a live band and more. Bloody wine, beer, and tasty bites will be available for purchase. The event is not recommended for children under 14. Zoo Miami is at 12400 SW 152 St., Miami. For more information call 305-251-0400.
- FREE Family Movie Night at West Perrine Park , 6 to 10 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 31, free. Halloween celebration in the park will include an outdoor screening of the family-friendly animated flick Hotel Transylvania (rated-PG), along with free Halloween candy, popcorn, hot dogs and a bounce house. West Perrine Park is located at 10301 SW 170 Terrace, Miami. Call 305-235-2053.