Miamians who need a ride but can’t afford a taxi now have another option. Lyft, a new ride-sharing program that calls itself “your friend with a car,” has added Miami to the more than 50 cities that it serves.
Readers of Miami on the Cheap can get a free ride, worth up to $25. The service operates throughout Miami-Dade County 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can see the Miami costs here. It also operates in Jacksonville and the Tampa Bay area.
Here’s how to get a ride with Lyft:
- Download the Lyft app to your smartphone and sign up, linking it to your credit or debit card.
- When you want a ride, just open the app and it will locate you on a map and show you where the closest Lyft driver is.
- Request a ride. When a driver accepts the request, you’ll see a picture of the driver and car. There will be a button that will allow you to call the driver if you need to, and you can even track the driver’s progress on the map.
- When your Lyft ride arrives — it will be easy to spot the car because the car will have a pink mustache on it — sit up front, relax, charge your phone, listen to the radio and chat with your new friend. A Lyft is more than just a ride; it’s a way to meet friendly local people who can show you the best way to get around your city.
- After the ride Lyft will prompt you to pay. If you’d like to add a tip for your driver you can do that, too.
If you’re worried about safety, know that Lyft does a background check on every driver and has high standards for safety. Read about the safety measures here. Also, the Lyft community helps out by rating drivers (and passengers).
Want to try it with a free ride? Your special promo code is LIVECHEAP. It’s good for one ride, worth up to $25, and it doesn’t expire. It’s for new Lyft riders only. To use it, just go to the payment screen in the app and enter it there.
After you try Lyft, let us know what you think.