Every Monday from June until August, the South Florida Theatre League will host readings of new plays by local playwrights at member theater companies. Playwrights range from established local favorites, including Carbonell winners and nominees, to emerging talents, with plays vastly ranging in subject matter and style.
At many of the readings, the South Florida Theatre League will invite those in attendance to “Come Under Our Umbrella” and decorate a large white canvas beach umbrella according to that particular theater’s mission or with any other aspect of the company they want to showcase. The decorated umbrellas will be displayed at various readings and performances throughout the Festival.
Here’s the schedule of the readings:
- June 2: Finding Mona Lisa by Michael McKeever at 7:30 p.m., Zoetic Stage at the Adrienne Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami.
- June 9: Lost Portraits by Kenneth N. Kurtz, Miami Acting Company at 7:30 p.m. at the Hibiscus Room in Pinecrest Gardens, 11000 Red Rd., Pimecrest.
- June 16: Captiva by Chris Demos-Brown at 7:30 p.m. at Maltz Jupiter Theatre, 1001 E. Indiantown Rd., Jupiter.
- June 23: Outside by Juan C. Sanchez, Ann Gillespie, Ozzie Rodriguez, Nick Mwaluko and Vanessa Garcia at The Krane at 8 p.m. at Books and Books, 265 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables.
- June 23: Juxtaposition by Julie Gilbert at 7 p.m. at Palm Beach Dramaworks, 201 Clematis St., West Palm Beach.
- June 30: The Pot by Glenn Hutchinson at 8 p.m. at Main Street Players, 6766 Main St., Hialeah.
- June 30:The Signature of Fear by Bob Bowersox at 8 p.m. at TheatreXP, 319 Duval St., Key West.
- July 7: Endless Song by Andie Arthur the Lost Girls Theatre at 8 p.m. at the Deering Estate, 16701 SW 72 Ave., Miami
- July 21: Dead by Night by Juan C. Sanchez at 7:30 p.m. at Actors’ Playhouse, Miracle Theatre, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables.
- July 28: Desperation by Marj O’Neill-Butler at Pigs Do Fly Productions at 7:30 p.m. at Empire Stage, 1140 N. Flagler Dr., Fort Lauderdale.
- Aug. 4: It Feels Good by Michael Yawney at 7:30 p.m. at GableStage, 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables, inside the Biltmore Hotel.
- Aug. 18: Instant Classic by Paul Tei at 7:30 p.m. at Mad Cat Theatre at the SandBox at Miami Theater Center, 9816 NE 2 Ave., Miami Shores.
- Aug. 18: Two Weekends and a Day by Susan Westfall at 7:30 p.m. at City Theatre at Empire Stage, 1140 N. Flagler Dr., Fort Lauderdale.
- Aug. 25: Dear Mom by Nancy Holson and Jay Falzone at 7:30 p.m. at The Plaza Theatre, 262 S. Ocean Blvd., Lantana.
Call South Florida Theatre League at 954-557-0778 for more info.