Miami Dade College is celebrating the diversity of Hispanic culture with a month of free Hispanic Heritage Month events in October, including film screenings, exhibits, performances, lectures, panel discussions and readings.
Most events are free and but some may require advance registration. These are some of the events:
- Wednesday, Oct. 9: Hispanic Film Festival: Buena Vista Social Club, 6 to 8 p.m. Ry Cooder’s film about aging Cuban musicians brought out of retirement. North Campus, Carrie P. Meek Entrepreneurial Education Center, Room 1103
- Friday, Oct. 11: Una Noche Mexicana, 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Celebrate Homestead’s Mexican-American culture with a night of music, dance, and cuisine. Homestead campus, room F-222
- Monday, Oct. 14: Domino Tournament, noon to 1 p.m. Test your skills and engage in a friendly competition against other players. Medical Campus, Atrium
- Wednesday, Oct. 16: Salsa contest, noon to 1:30 p.m., Hialeah campus, room 1119/1120.
- Wednesday, Oct. 16, Hispanic Heritage Fair, 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. A dynamic event showcasing the many countries of Central and South America and the Caribbean with food, music, and vendors. InterAmerican Campus, Flag Courtyard.
- Wednesday, Oct. 16, Olé Español!, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Live performances of salsa and flamenco and authentic, Spanish paella. Kendall Campus, Shark Tank, Building 2
- Thursday, Oct. 17, through Sunday, Oct. 27: Diaz y Flores. A darkly-comic, two-act play about tensions and flirtations among succeeding generations of urban immigrants written by playwright Oliver Mayer. 8 p.m. Oct. 17-19, 24-26; 2 p.m., Oct. 20 and 27, Kendall Campus, M113 Studio Theatre.
For a complete schedule of MDC’s Hispanic Heritage Month activities, including more films, health education events and discussions on immigration and Hispanic identity, visit http://bluetoad.com/publication/?i=177233.