If you’re looking for free things to do with your kids in Miami this summer, consider taking them to a movie. It’s a way to beat the heat, and a number of theaters are offering free or cheap kids’ movies on weekday mornings. Or, you can attend a “dive-in” movie at Grapeland Water Park. Here are the free and cheap movies for kids in Miami-Dade this summer.
- Days: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday June 16-Aug.6
- Cost: Free
The movies will be at three Miami-Dade theaters:
- Dolphin 19, 11471 NW 12th St., Miami; 305-591-0785.
- Cobb Grand 18, 17355 NW 59th Ave., Miami Lakes; 305-2313-5252.
- Miami Lakes 17, 6711 Main St., Miami Lakes; 305-558-3810.
Here is the schedule for all three theaters:
- June 16, 17, 18: Planet 51 (PG) and The Muppets Take Manhattan (G)
- June 23, 24, 25: Stuart Little (1999) (PG) and Hook (PG)
- June 30, July 1, 2: The Smurfs (PG) and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (PG)
- July 7, 8, 9: Alpha & Omega (PG) and Tarzan (2014) (PG)
- July 14, 15, 16: Astro Boy (PG) and The Wizard of Oz (1939) (G)
- July 21, 22, 23: The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (PG) and Rio (G)
- July 28, 29, 30: The Book of Life (PG) and Paddington (PG)
- Aug. 4, 5, 6: The Lego Movie (PG) and Sesame Street: Follow that Bird (G)
Get more information here.
- Days: Tuesdays and Wednesdays June 9-Aug. 5
- Cost: $1
Participating theaters in Miami-Dade are:
- Regal Kendall Village Stadium 16 & RPX
- Regal Southland Mall Stadium 16
- UA Falls 12
You’ll want to check with your theater to make sure that the films are being screened both days. Miami on the Cheap tip: Arrive early to get a seat, before the day camp crowd arrives.
Here is the schedule by week:
- Tuesday, June 9: Nut Job
- Wednesday, June 10: Annie
- Tuesday, June 16: Earth to Echo
- Wednesday, June 17: The Boxtrolls
- Tuesday, June 23: Paddington
- Wednesday, June 24: Turbo
- Tuesday, June 30: Rio 2
- Wednesday, July 1: How To Train Your Dragon 2
- Tuesday, July 7: Mr. Peabody & Sherman
- Wednesday, July 8: The Book of Life
- Tuesday, July 14: Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb
- Wednesday, July 15: Penguins of Madagascar
- Tuesday, July 21: Madagascar 3
- Wednesday, July 22: Dolphin Tale 2
- Tuesday, July 28: Muppets Most Wanted
- Wednesday, July 29: Alexander and the Very Bad Day
- Tuesday, Aug. 4: The Lego Movie
- Wednesday, Aug. 5: The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
More information here.
Grapeland Water Park
- Days: last Friday of the month
- Cost: $5
Dive-In Movies features a chance to play in the water park and watch movies from the pool.
Here’s the schedule of films, which all begin at 8 p.m.:
- June 25: Maleficent
- July 24: Big Hero 6
- Aug. 28: The Lego Movie
- Sept. 25: Earth to Echo
Coral Gables Art Cinema
The Coral Gables Art Cinema shows a family-friendly movie the second Saturday and Sunday of every month as part of Family Days on Aragon. Tickets are $5 and include popcorn and a soda for kids under 12.
Other cheap movie options
- Get 2-1 movie tickets every Friday with your Visa Signature card.
- See movies at art cinemas for $8 during Miami Film Month in June.
- Check out free movies from the Miami-Dade Public Library.
- See movies at cheaper days and times.
- See free and cheap movies in Broward.
Looking for more free and cheap things to do with your kids this summer?
- See our megalist of 29 free and cheap things to do with Miami-Dade kids this summer.
- Find free events and things to do with kids in Miami.These lists are updated every day.