Fireworks will fill Miami-Dade skies from Aventura to Homestead and Miami Beach to Hialeah on July 4, 2013. Plus, there will be free concerts, free kids’ activities and other free fun to celebrate the Fourth of July.
Here are the major July 4 celebrations in Miami-Dade plus 12 places to view free fireworks shows:
- Coca-Cola Presents Fire on the Fourth Miami Beach: Miami Beach is doing up July 4 in a big way, as usual, with a free concert with jazz volcalist Nicole Henry at 7 p.m. Fireworks will be at 9 p.m. The event is at Lummus Park Beach (Ocean Drive at Ninth Street). People are urged to bring beach chairs or blankets to sit on, but no glass containers. Free shuttles will run from 72nd and Collins and 81st and Collins from 5 p. m. to 8:30 p.m. Shuttles will run north from 11th and Washington from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- America’s Birthday Bash at Bayfront Park in Miami: America’s Birthday Bash will be an all-day free celebration at Miami’s Bayfront Park. Pony rides and a petting zoo will be open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. with a free kids’ zone open 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Miami Contradance with live music by Dirty Dollars will be 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. The big fireworks show starts at 9 p.m. Bayfront Park is at 301 N. Biscayne Blvd., Miami, FL 33132
- Old-fashioned picnic at The Barnacle: It’s time for an old-fashioned picnic at The Barnacle Historic State Park in Coconut Grove. The event will feature board games, crafts, kite-making and flying, a scavenger hunt and free music from J.D. Danner. You can bring your own picnic lunch (no alcohol) or buy hot dogs and burgers from The Barnacle Society. Admission is $5 for adults, $2 for kids 6 to 12 and free for kids under 6. The Barnacle is at 3485 Main Highway, Miami.
- Free concert and fireworks in Doral: Doral will celebrate July 4 with a free concert and fireworks show at JC Bermudez Park, 3000 NW 87th Ave. The festivities will start at 7 p.m. with music by by Boys Night Out and Orquesta America, followed by the fireworks show at 9 p.m. Residents are invited to blankets, chairs and picnic baskets. There will also be food for sale. No alcohol or pets allowed.
- Independence Day Celebration in Hialeah: Hialeah will celebrate the Fourth with a free Independence Day celebration at Milander Park, 4800 Palm Ave., Hialeah. Festivities begin at 4:30 p.m. with a performance by the 13th Army Florida National Guard Latin Combo Band in the new Milander Center Amphitheater. There will be interactive activities for children at the Menchie’s Kid Zone, refreshments, music and dancing. At 6:30 p.m., Carlos Oliva y Los Sobrinos del Juez will play at the Coca-Cola/Sedanos Supermarket Stage in Ted Hendricks Stadium. That performance will be followed by 13th Army Band Florida National Guard with patriotic music. The fireworks show will include a 20-foot state-of-the-art video screen with music, lasers and light.
- Aventura: Fireworks at 9 p.m., can be viewed from any location along Country Club drives.
- Coconut Grove: Free fireworks at 9 p.m. at Peacock Park.
- Coral Gables: The event starts at 4 p.m., with the signature Donald Ross golf course open free to the public starting at 5 p.m. The Greater Miami Symphonic Band will perform and 7 p.m., and the fireworks display will begin at 9 p.m. There will be food trucks and beverages for sale on the golf course throughout the evening. The event is free to the public, but VIP seats are available for purchase.
- Homestead: “Race to the 4th” at the Homestead-Miami Speedway from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. The free event will feature family entertainment, live music, children’s rides, food and drinks, games and a fireworks display.
- Key Biscayne: Parade at 11 a.m. along Crandon Boulevard, followed by a picnic on the Village Green by the Kiwanis of Key Biscayne. Fireworks begin at 9 p.m., from a barge offshore and will be visible along the beach.
- North Miami: The 4th of July Independence Day Celebration by the Bay begins at 7 p.m. at the FIU Biscayne Bay Campus Kovens Center, 3000 NE 151 Street, FL 33181. The free event will include music, food for purchase and a fireworks show at sundown.
- The Palms at Town & County: The free event will start at 5:30 p.m. with freebies for the first 200 guests and kids’ crafts, a balloon artist and stilt walkers. At 6:30 p.m., the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Street Band from FIU will perform Fourth of July favorites. At 8:30 p.m., there will be a fireworks display and music at the lake. The Palms at Town & Country is at 8268 Mills Dr., Miami, FL 33283.